• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

privately owned supersonic aircraft

saddamsnightmare

January 15th, 2010.

If I could qualify for a pilot's license (which, for various reasons...I can't), for me it would be a tossup between a DC-3/C-47 restored as a AC-47 and painted for "puff the magic dragon", or a AD Skyraider done as a "Spad"..... If I hit the powerball (which ain't gonna happen) I would consider an A-10 if I had to have a jet....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

unclemikey

You have to know, if you had that kind of money, you would just have to have one. But I have to go with Stampy on this one, I like prop and round motors!
Mods would be good.....how about a 4360 in a Staggerwing!

(P.S. Did anyone note that 39 Aeronca Military L-3F Chief on E-Bay just the other day........What a deal for $13,000)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When people started talking about P-51s it reminded me of a story I heard.

We do alot of work at a place called Vought Aircraft in Nashville,TN. They make wings only now and they've changed names several times over the years but durring WWII they built P-51s.

Last year they were cleaning the place up and scrapping a bunch of stuff. We hauled most of it from there. The guy we were working for was wanting them to clean up an overgrown area in the back of the property. He ran it by his boss and he said "no way" and then told him what was in there.

This guy said that when WWII was over they had several completed planes and the military canceled the contract. With nothing to do with all all the P-51s and scrap not worth anything they just pushed them into a ravine on the back of the property (guy said he's seen old pics of this). Over the years they kept dumping stuff back there untill the ravine was full.

He said several people that work there have wanted to dig the planes up over the years but there has been alot of stuff dumped in there over the years and they didn't want to dig in there and open up an enviromental nightmare.

You bring a shovel and I'll show you the spot but you'll have to climb the fence and be on your own :wink:.

On a related note, When we were doing all the scrapping there someone laid the jigs to build the C-130 wings in a room where we were told to scrap everything in there(they have the contact to build replacement C-130 wings). I did think it odd that they had stamped on them "property of US Air Force" but I didn't know what they were and we were told to scrap everything in the room.

About a week later I got a call from the guy we were working for and he was all excited. They couldn't find the jigs and after he described them to me I told him where they were :shock:.

It's funny to see guys in suits climbing around in scrap plies at the scrap yard looking for the jigs. There was a big stink over it and I don't think they ever found the jigs.

They said they thought that may be the only set left so I may have single handedly sent the C-130 into early retirement.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Ah, an educated consumer! The D model is truly the only way to fly-the upgraded engines and all the upgraded avionics to go with them.
Nothing compares to standing 20ft away from one while being launched off a carrier, the rumble feels like it messes with your heart beat.

67X

My favs are the A-10 Thunderbolt II in service from 1977 and slated for decommission in 2028! and B-17 Flying Fortress. If your ever in the Washington DC area dont forget to visit the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia. Just some of the aircraft they have are Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, the Boeing Dash 80, the Boeing B-29 Superfortress Enola Gay; and the deHavilland Chipmunk aerobatic airplane and the Space Shuttle Enterprise. You can get close enough to most of these aircraft to almost touch them.
And dont forget while your out there please stop at the Arlington National Cemetary and Vietnam Mememorial to pay your respects to the real heros who gave eveything to keep us a free people.

mutt_kahuna

supersonic aircraft

Supersonic A/C= Question:"what are you going to do with that?"
Answer:"don't really know but what ever it is ,we'll do it in a hurry!"
With the SU-27's top speed at around mach 2.35 that's for sure!..in fact these are the only a/c I could find that had a higher top speed then the SU-27
Aurora? mach ??++
SR-71 mach 3+++
mig 31 mach 2.8
mig 25 mach 2.8
F-15c mach 2.5+
F-111f mach 2.5

also figured that it would cost apx $8200 just to fill its internal tanks!..lord knows what its burn rate is....Hmmm wonder if it will burn WMO?

Wrench Wench

N345BG North American TB-25N

*contented sigh*

That reminds me of one of my fave romantic comedy movies. Anyone remember Always? Except Pete flew a B-26 (actually A-26), not a TB-25, but still, it'd be a similar feel. If I were to largely exhaust my obsession with green iron and step out into the shiny aluminum that flies, that is the kind I'd get.

Lots of opportunities to strafe things with machineguns too.

Last edited:

Malyutkaman

Buy my MiG-17 PLEASE!!!! (alot cheaper than those SU-27s)
I long for the day when I ruled my obsessions. Now they rule me. Even sitting in a dry hangar all this stuff needs constant maintenance.:cry: However looking down the barrels of those big guns does motivate me to press on:roll:, NO, MUST SELL, but on the other hand.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks