• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Probable Blown Headgasket

gijoe13

I have a 1974 m35a2 with a white manufacture engine. I am getting antifreeze out the slobber tube. I am thinking this means a blown headgasket. There is no antifreeze in the oil that I can see from the dipstick. Any thoughts appreciated from all of you that know much more about these trucks than I do. I am slowly learning and having a great time with my stepdaughter working on it together.
Thanks, Jeff

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
green coolant coming from inside the slobber tube? The tube comes from the rocker cover. How lmany miles has this been going on for? If you have enough cooland in there to notice, you should be able to find it in the oil. Could it be running down the tube from underneath? Maybe it is leaking externally to the engine or spraying from a freeze plug under pressure? Does the oil look fine after running the engine?

JDToumanian

Could it be running down the tube from underneath? Maybe it is leaking externally to the engine or spraying from a freeze plug under pressure?
I think Patrick is probably right.... I don't see how you could have coolant coming out that tube without the oil on the dipstick looking like tapioca pudding.

Jon

gijoe13

I agree with you all. I cant understand how there is no sign of coolant on the dipstick. The truck is new to me a year ago and has no brakes so havent run it for long periods, just to move it to work on it. It sat for five plus years before I purchased it. Could it be coming from the turbo? Is that cooled by antifreeze? The truck runs great otherwise. Thanks for all the comments so far. I will try to get a pic of the dipstick later today.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it be coming from the turbo? Is that cooled by antifreeze?
No, it is not.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is coolant passageson top the motor. When mine leaked, it got on the slobber tube somehow. Have you checked to see how tight the top coolant passages are?