• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Probably a dumb newby ? but here goes

Stomp

OK. Great thread. I'm learning a lot. Thank you.

Here's a completely random question about engine swaps..........
Has anyone done, considered, or heard of a Detroit Series 60 swap?

I ask because I am VERY familiar with them, and really like their build. I think they are great engines. I was just curious of the logistics. Can it be swapped into a 5-Ton?

Sorry if it's a rediculous question. I'm just a curious person.

:) ~Stomp~

pyrogod117

Stomp, as far as I know, Detroit 60 series engines are HUGE. Unless there are smaller, pickup sized variants, I'd say no. I know the one we have in our tower ladder we just bought is 515hp and it's massive. But there may be more and I'm just oblivious.

Stomp

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I know Series 60 is a HUGE engine. I'm going to try to get some physical measurements to compare to the original stock Cummins.

Thanks,
Stomp

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved the thread to 5 ton and up forum.

I would thing the only trucks big enough for a detroit 60 is the 809 and 900 series. M35 and older 5 tons have smaller engine bays.

Dennis

Atwater

i bought a 5.9 out of a fedex truck with the allison 545 with about 100,000 mi on it for $1900. i have seen them advertised a grand ether way in various conditions

pyrogod117

would a 5.9 have the balls for a 5ton? it seems like a small motor for a BIG truck (but what do i know i only work on gas motors as of yet)
Well, they use them in Fedex/UPS trucks, buses, etc... So the 5.9 Cummins will run that 5 ton around all day. It puts out roughly 350 hp and 650 lb/ft of torque stock. The newer models anyway. That's way more than the standard military motors. Add a nice intake and stacks, and you'll easily get the 350/650 it's rated for. Unless it's the older 6BT mechanical ones from the 90s, those I don't know too much about. Can't be that far off though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks