• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem getting a title. Help?

dallasfromdallas

Hey everybody, I bought my first deuce a few weeks back and am having problems getting it tagged because it doesn't have a clear title. The story is that, one member here bought it from .gov auction then sold it to another member here. I have the paperwork that came from the SF-97, a bill of sale from the first transaction and the second transaction (when I bought it). But, the tag clerk is telling me that I have to have a title from the guy who originally bought it from the .gov. BTW, I'm trying to tag it in Oklahoma. Lastly, I'm about to set up Texas residency. Would it be any easier in TX? I'm starting to pull my hair out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately you will need to have the original buyer get the title in his name or use a Title Service company. Oklahoma will not take a Bill Of Sale for vehicles.

Be sure and join us for our Oklahoma Convoy on Dec 12.

Warthog

dallasfromdallas

I was afraid of that. Looks like if I get it titled in OK, I'll have to use the title service. However, has anyone had to go through this in Texas? Is it the same requirements? Thanks again for any input.

O.D. Fever

Just a note: Got all my paper work for the new duece and the GOV. is not what I would call too good at their own game.. It took two years to build my truck.. They listed it as a 1971 and a 1970. back again for revisions.... some day it will be lega.l

dallasfromdallas

So I just found this http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdoteforms/GetForm?formName=/VTR-135-M.pdf&preference=PDFForm&appID=/vtr/specialty%20plates&fileID=1233334&status=/reportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml which, according to the clause regarding vehicles without titles, looks like it should suffice for TX registration. Has anyone in TX gone this route? BTW, the people at the TX department of transportation were totally unable to give me a straight answer when I presented the form to them (via phone just now). They are still telling me that the SF-97 holder has to get the title before any transfer can be made. (Still pulling hair).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your easiest, and probably cheapest, way to do this is go through someone like Broadway Title. I've used them for 2 vehicles and it is a world of difference taking that in to the DMV than trying to do it with a SF-97 made out to ME let alone someone else.

When I registered my deuce (with a SF-97) I had all the information, including where the title clerk could find it on her computer, and I still had to argue with them for about an hour as they kept looking everywhere except where I told them to look.

If you're moving here any way I'd just wait until you're here and only have to go through the headache once instead of twice.

dallasfromdallas

So, I just checked out broadway title's website. Looks like this might be the easiest way to go. It would absolutely be worth the money if it keeps me from having to jump through the DOT's contradictory hoops, not to mention dealing with their apparent ineptitude regarding such matters. :mad:

dallasfromdallas

So, I've had zero luck getting Broadway title to return any of the five phone calls I've made to them. Let a message each time, but no calls returned. Does anyone know of another similar service that will actually return calls to potential customers? Thanks.

Scarecrow1

Not to sound like a smart A ,But you may save your self some stress and got the route they told you to . When dealing with anything having had a state or Goverment title its almost always a mess. You want a head ach try to get a salvage title from the state of SC it took me 11 months on a boat motor

dallasfromdallas

Not to sound like a smart A ,But you may save your self some stress and got the route they told you to . When dealing with anything having had a state or Goverment title its almost always a mess. You want a head ach try to get a salvage title from the state of SC it took me 11 months on a boat motor
Go the route who told me to? Getting a title service company to do it for me seems like the least headache so far. Now I just need to find one that will return my calls. I have a call into getnewtitle.com. Hopefully they run their business better than broadway title. Let me know if there's something I missed.

area52

Get with the DMV on how to title a vehicle with no title ever. Tell them its an ex-military vehicle that has never been titled. See if they will let you get a surety bond. Thats how I did it in NM.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
There is one more option. Buy a title from someone. There are plenty here who have titles that they are sitting on from parts trucks or whatever. I can hear the SS lawyers out there just itching to comment on this but I know that in some cases this is the easiest route... maybe not the most forthright.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
title

Try this title co. Lost car title and old car title or vehicle titles -International Title Service

It does no good to tell this guy what he should have done...He needs help and now a title Co. is his best way...unless you go to the dark side with Dudley ;-)

Since June the title Co. have been having a hard time getting titles, because of the change in the laws in the states that they (title co.) go thru to get you a clear title. Good luck.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one more option. Buy a title from someone. There are plenty here who have titles that they are sitting on from parts trucks or whatever. I can hear the SS lawyers out there just itching to comment on this but I know that in some cases this is the easiest route... maybe not the most forthright.
In that same vain, anyone who has a deuce frame with title should probably hang on to it in case they do start mutilating deuces. Putting a new body on an old frame with title is perfectly legal in most areas. Some states may make you get a builder's title but if you have frame, data plate, and title, seems to me you have a full truck.

BigjeepTX

Im in Texas just went though this BS in TEXAS the peoson whose name is on the SF97 will need to title it. Then you can transfer it to your name. I work at a Jeep dealer and even they could not get it done without the original persol. Texas has new laws on Curbstoning IE selling and title jumping. they want their tax money. I found the original guy got all the paperwork signed and paid the tax myselft just to get it done it cost $71.38 for a title only. Them I titled it in my name and paid the state tax. Sorry for rambling but almost every MV localy I have run across receintly has screwed up paperwork.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeh I've titled 2 for myself and 3 I've sold this year in TX and they want their money. At least with government paperwork they don't hit you with the 20 day penalty.

dallasfromdallas

Im in Texas just went though this BS in TEXAS the peoson whose name is on the SF97 will need to title it. Then you can transfer it to your name. I work at a Jeep dealer and even they could not get it done without the original persol. Texas has new laws on Curbstoning IE selling and title jumping. they want their tax money. I found the original guy got all the paperwork signed and paid the tax myselft just to get it done it cost $71.38 for a title only. Them I titled it in my name and paid the state tax. Sorry for rambling but almost every MV localy I have run across receintly has screwed up paperwork.
That sucks about the new laws. I sure hope there's some way I can get around it. It would be awesome if the guy whose name the SF-97 is in would be willing to assist in the matter. Despite the fact that he deals in military vehicles as part of his living, he is not willing to help me out. :roll: Regardless, thanks for the input everyone. I am still looking for options, so IMs or thread replies with advice are more than welcome and very appreciated.

kc5mzd

Texas will wan't their taxes. If the guy doesn't want to help you should try to get a power of attorney. This will let you go to the dmv on his behalf and sort out the paperwork. If he is willing to sign that he sold the truck and doesn't want anything to do with it that might be enough to get the title. With a SF97 it might or might not work but its worth a try. From experiance Texas gets picky when it involves a sf97 so I would try to get it taken care of while you are close.