• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem installing spacer on with socket

Valiant

So I got a set of 2" spacers that fit the 8 lug bolt pattern perfectly but my 22mm sockets are slightly too big for the holes inside the spacer. Is there a special socket or lug nuts I can get?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how about a 7/8 socket? or take our socket to a machine shop and have them turn it down in a lathe.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OE studs are 13/16 with a 7/8 nut. There are specialty thin wall wheel nut sockets for tire shops out there. Search epay "steelman 78276" for one example.

Valiant

Thanks guys. Yes, the 7/8 did not fit the hole either. It's the same size as the 22mm.
Juan, I was looking at those thin wall sockets too but I wasn't sure if they're actually any smaller. The descriptions weren't too clear and they looked like the same size.
I also saw tall lug nuts with special "key" sockets and other "6 Spline Key Sockets". Can't find a good dimension description.

Carrera911

So I got a set of 2" spacers that fit the 8 lug bolt pattern perfectly but my 22mm sockets are slightly too big for the holes inside the spacer. Is there a special socket or lug nuts I can get?
Some spacers will require a thinner wall nut that usually resembles a locking lug. Or maybe try a standard chrome colored non impact socket if you haven't already. The manufacturers website should say if they need any kind of special nut.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some fancier lug nut sockets with a teflon/plastic ? sleeve so they don't scratch fancy wheels for deep tight access. I would try a 6pt chrome or maybe get the specs from those fancy sockets to get outer width?

I just find it crazy to have a special nut with standard threads and metric head.

Valiant

I ordered the socket Juan mentioned already. Can't go wrong with another socket in the toolbox! The long lug nut sets look like they could work as well but I would want to know if it worked for anybody else before going that route.

Action

I ordered the socket Juan mentioned already. Can't go wrong with another socket in the toolbox! The long lug nut sets look like they could work as well but I would want to know if it worked for anybody else before going that route.
If what worked for anybody else? Are you going to use thinner aftermarket wheel? Or are you just wanting to push the wheels out? I have only seen 1 skated humvee.

tage

there's a specific hmmwv company that special makes the 16.5 hmmwv rims with beadlocks... google search would help you out a long ways to get to the vendor.
why re-invent the wheel?

Awol

I assume you're going with an aftermarket wheel, and the back spacing is making the wheel sit too far inside the wheel opening, making the truck look funny, and probably hitting every suspension component in sight.

I would try one of those thin walled sockets. If you have a set of calipers, take them with you to the store wherever you buy your sockets. Start measuring the thickness of the sockets. There is some great variances between manufactures, even if they're not being advertised as thin wall.

Valiant

I wanted to keep the original rims but give it a little edge on the side. I don't like the way the military tire looks from the back side on a wagon model. I want to beef it up so I figured I try spacers and see how it looks. I'm waiting on the socket and hoping it will do the trick.
I'm building a few different models and trying out different things.
IMG_0339.jpg

Awol

I wanted to keep the original rims but give it a little edge on the side. I don't like the way the military tire looks from the back side on a wagon model. I want to beef it up so I figured I try spacers and see how it looks. I'm waiting on the socket and hoping it will do the trick.
View attachment 721820
Ahh, I see.

What I said still applies. I would take a set of calipers if you have them, and measure the sockets at the store for thickness. You should be able to find one that's skinny enough to fit in the spacers.

Btw, I hope those spacers are beefy pieces.

Valiant

I couldn't find a socket that would fit. I'm going to try to find a different spacer. Has anybody found spacers that work on the military models?
I ordered a set of wider aftermarket wheels for another truck, but I like to be able to keep the original wheels if I can make it look right with a spacer fix.

Action

View attachment 721820
Is that even a hmmwv or h1? Homemade roof, homemade bumper with only 4 bolts holding it on, autozone taillights. Just use longer wheel studs in the spindle.

dhaumann69166

Can you drill the top of the holes on your spacer slightly larger to accommodate the smallest socket you can find? I have found that my SnapOn socket won’t fit the rims on my Scout II but the cheap set of sockets we keep in the ranch pickup does fit. They look identical but it’s just enough smaller.
Keep in mind that a 2 inch spacer doesn’t seem like much but it is moving pressure farther out on the lug bolts. You stand a much higher chance of breaking the lug bolts or even the spindle. I wouldn’t recommend doing any hard off roading with the spacers on. It also changes the alignment. You might not see it visually but it will eat the inside tread off your tires quickly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks