• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem spin off oil filter adapter

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very curious as to what might be causing the leaks - no matter which system you're running or which material your adapters are made of.

The install video for Westfolk's shows the gasket install and warns that it is easy to install wrong - ie with a bubble or not getting it 100% flat.

With that in mind I double checked my son's work when he did that part of the install. I also torqued the first one (to 55 ft lbs) because I was teaching him how to use a torque wrench. Other than that it was pretty much done as per the video by a then 13 year old. He even lubed the gaskets with old oil that happened to be there and didn't get really crazy with the clean up prep.

So far no leaks, no problems. I've done one full oil change and several oil filter only changes (cuz it makes me feel good).

If anyone else has had any problems or did anything special on the install please post it up.

Billy Bobbed

When I did my first canister oil filter change with the paper gaskets that came with the filters they leaked,so I put the old rubber gaskets back on no leaks.Now the same thing is happing with the adapters with the paper gaskets.If they start to leak again Im going to take one off and put the one good rubber gasket I have left and see if it works.I went to NAPA to get a couple more 5119 gaskets,the only NAPA that had them was in Kentucky they had 4 left.Is there another gasket number.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you guys use any thread sealant or thread locker during the install?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also wonder if using some kind of bonding/sealing agent on the gasket surface would improve long term reliability. I like Indian head shellac on fiber and paper gaskets. It's safe with fuels and oils too.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar problem with my 5-ton. First, wrong gasket, then not tight enough.

I will replace all the oil again next spring, to get rid of sludge, probably will use some sealing agent as well. Having lost all oil in a short time makes me very nervouse, scared it will happen again while driving.

JasonS

They are not designed for an O-ring, they are designed for a gasket. Just like the stock canisters.
Understood but there is no reason why they couldn't have been improved.

As far as I know, the original filter canisters were meant to drain into the oil pan, so that the oil can be preheated (arctic kit). If your spin-on filters do not drain, then there may be a temporary increase in pressure across them causing the gaskets to leak when the oil within is at a sub zero temp...just a thought...
The aluminum should not be a problem (John Tennis ref), the entire filter canister bracket assy is made of aluminum on the -2 engines.
Keep in mind that there are bypass valves for both the oil filters and the oil cooler which should make this a non-issue. Can you reference your source for the design intent of the oil filters draining back into the pan?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It could be that the pressure needed to overcome the bypass in COLD oil, on a COLD engine, is more than you would think, and causeing the leak

Last edited:

ranchhopper

I agree with 73m819 my spin ons were not leaking all summer then today I started the truck it was six degrees here and had a puddle six inches in diameter under the truck. Mine were leaking from the oil filter gasket its self after the truck warmed up it stopped.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that a lot of it must be due to the cold oil. I picked up a deuce yesterday and it was about 10 degrees, it still had the stock filters on it but when I started it it began leaking oil out of one of the canisters. I tightened it down a little and it seemed to fix the problem.

martinsaunders06

i agree with the temperature of the oil, i currently have my engine out of truck on a stand in my workshop after being repaired. i have a ali spin on adaptor kit with fleetguard cummins filters and when i started it today with temperature bout 3 below freezing the oil was real thick. i have a manual oil pressure gauge connected at the min and pressure cold/warm was 90 psi at 1000rpm coming down to 65 psi idle and then down to 60 psi at 1200 rpm hot and 40 psi idle hot, and this was just below freezing so cold oil can create alot of pressure. martin

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind that there are bypass valves for both the oil filters and the oil cooler which should make this a non-issue. Can you reference your source for the design intent of the oil filters draining back into the pan?

As you know the TMs rarily explain the why something is designed this or that way, so I have simply come to the conclusion that being able to preheat the oil is the reason for draining the canisters.

The bypass valve is in parallel with the oil filters and is rated 15 psi.

I have measured the oil pressure drop across the to stock oil filters and it is about 3 to 5 psi.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The bypass valve is in parallel with the oil filters and is rated 15 psi.

I have measured the oil pressure drop across the to stock oil filters and it is about 3 to 5 psi.
This reading would be either with HOT oil, or with the spring out and doing a weight close test, if you have the by pass valve encased in COLD oil, it will take a lot more pressure for it to open and then get the oil flowing though the opening

bguy193

I had the leaking adapter problem this summer. I replaced the paper gaskets and made sure everything was super clean. No leaks so far but now that it is cold, like everyone has said it might start again. I will be driving it tomorrow if I have leaks I will report back.

kbush

The first time mine leaked, oil was streaming out, and when I pulled the filters the actual fittings were quite loose. So I torqued them down to 60 pounds. No leaks yet. Started the truck today here in Alamosa, CO at about 20 degrees F and nothing. I think from now on though I will check the torque on them every oil change.