• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem starting with M923A1 knowledge

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
The otherday we put 2 week batteries in the truck/ we only saw the main power and ground not the small wires that are on each of them. we hooked the main and ground up and turned the power and start switches, nothing, no low air buzzer nothing. So we went to the starter and jumped it at the selonoid. truck turned over but batteries were to week. Now I put 2 new big batteries in. hooked the wires up and saw the small wire on the main hotwire and the small on the ground wire. Hooked them up hot on hot ground on ground. flipped the top power switch, lights came on, blower worked dash items on. flipped the start button to on low air buzzer sounding, flipped it to start, nothing, would not turn motor over, no other sounds. Went to the starter to jump it off, and still nothing, would not jump off selonoid. could not get anything to turn motor over. Any help you can give? Looked through manuals says if this happens consult supervisor.
If I could get some help on what to test or what it could be, I be greatful.
Thanks
If someone thinks they know but it would be to much to write call me 734-552-5118
Today is my birthday that would be a great present lol.
Mark

jstier

Mark,

Are your batteries in the truck in series or parallel?

What voltage are you using to jump the truck?

Last edited:

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
it is. I found something in the TM. It shows a pic of the main power feed going to the starter from the battery with a small wire with it, but in the pic the small wire branches off and goes to a ground post on the battery instead of a hot post. could this be a ground wire for the electrical, including the starter?
Mark

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
ground wire

it is. I found something in the TM. It shows a pic of the main power feed going to the starter from the battery with a small wire with it, but in the pic the small wire branches off and goes to a ground post on the battery instead of a hot post. could this be a ground wire for the electrical, including the starter?
Mark

Bolkbich

Ive had 250 cummins for 35 years, they can be hard to turn over. They need 4 good big batterys to really crank right. sometimes you can get away with 2 ,but only if its warm (70+)out. Put 4 good batterys in it (truck batterys are ok i dont like the 6tl's ,too expensive) check and clean all your grounds. On one of my trucks i had to run a separate ground from the starter to the batterys...i just couldnt get it to crank strong...then it was good.

jstier

Mark
Post pic form manual

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Look at the right side of the batteries, the main wire comes up between the batteries and the power wire goes to the front right pos post, but a small wire coming up with it goes to the neg post on the battery behind it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried turning the motor over manually with a breaker bar on the crank to make sure the motor is free ?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the little wires in the battery box are for the heater. The heater uses 12 and 24v.
There is a drawing in the back if the tm in the H1 part.
TM 9-2320-272-24-4 in the H1

The control box maybe bad.

Good luck!!

jstier

Since your not sure if your starter is wired correctly. Are you sure you didn't burn up your new starter when you jumped it the last time? or worse yet something else.
Sounds like it time to get the volt meter out and start checking everything.

Last edited:

rrrr

Tm's for the 9 series trucks are awful. Make sure all the leads are clean. You mentioned that you tried to start using a jumper directly on the starter ? I imagine its cold in michigan because its been cold here in missouri. Try taking a hammer and tapping on the starter and solenoid, don't beat it just tap it. Maybe due to the cold its a little bound up. Tap on it when you are trying to start it and maybe it will break free. My 932 doesn't like it below 40f and needs to crank longer to get going with a lite shot of ether. I put my batteries on a solargizer and keep it on a 24v battery tender as well to make sure my batteries are always topped off. Good luck !

I also would pull the battery and starter switches from the dash and remove and clean the connectors in the back as well as place some dielectric grease in each contact. Make sure the switches are well grounded to the instrument plate as well.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I got it to crank but not fire, jumped it from the starter and it cranked real good, but did not fire at all. I think the protective box is bad, since the start switch won't work either.

rrrr

Before you go replacing electronic boxes which are very expensive, pull your starter switch out and make sure its working. The start switch also controls the electric fuel shut off solenoid which could also be a problem. You might have multiple issues. First pull the starter switch and check it for continuity. Then when its been verified good check your electric solenoid shutoff on the IP that is just above the cable shutoff. Make sure its not stuck closed. A diesel only needs fuel and air to run. You shut off a diesel by shutting off fuel ! It sounds like your not getting fuel.

If you want to talk PM me your number and I will call and see if I can help.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got it to crank but not fire, jumped it from the starter and it cranked real good, but did not fire at all. I think the protective box is bad, since the start switch won't work either.
You may have to prime it with the little pump on the motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks