• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problem with dump conversion

vtriflebuilder

I'm having trouble with a dump conversion kit I installed this week. It's a kit I ordered from c&c equipment as I've seen many others have done here so I figured this was a good place to trouble shoot the issue. The dump works great when the bed is empty, but when I loaded it with firewood yesterday the piston would only go 3/4s of the way up. There it ran out of steam and I had to unload the wood by hand to get the rest of the travel (another 4" of piston movement). It's a 24v electric over hydraulic pump and the systems rated for 10k. I'm using ATF in the pump and it's filled to the proper level. I also installed the hoist at the suggested spacing from the hinges to get 45 degrees of lift and more capacity than if I put it on the main cross member. The firewood was fairly dry so I'm guessing the 1 1/2 cord was only around 2k lbs. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm hoping that I'm missing something fairly simple here. The pictures show the bed in the highest position with the bed empty.IMG_0827.jpgIMG_0825.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0828.jpg

KUBLOSSURPLUS

I have done quite a few of these and had this problem before but I use a lot bigger kits try switching your supply and return lines ken

vtriflebuilder

Artisan: The fluid level did go down some when the hoist was up, I added fluid but then about the same amount sprayed out through the fill cap as I operated the hoist down and up.

Ken: Thanks, I will try switching the lines and give that a try. I guess I'll need to go cut some more firewood today :)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Artisan: The fluid level did go down some when the hoist was up, I added fluid but then about the same amount sprayed out through the fill cap as I operated the hoist down and up.
Thanks for the flashback to me being young and stupid - I drove a big dump truck for forestry road construction as a summer job and, with the bed up, I checked the hydraulic tank and found, gosh, it was way low. So I added a 10 gallon drum of hydraulic oil and filled it to the FULL mark. Guess what a mess that made when the bed came down! :shock:

Rusty nuts

I just finished mine a while back on my bobbed Deuce with probably the same kit that I got from Premium Supply, the 516 kit, and it dumps a 6000 lb load of rock in about 15 seconds with no hesitation. Make sure that the hose from the top port of the block goes to the front port on the cylinder and the Bridon load control valve goes on the front port of the cylinder, then the hose connects to to the valve. The bottom port on the pump goes to the rear port on the cylinder. How many time have you cycled the dump up and down? It took mine about 15 times to get all the air out of the system. Other than that, I don't have a clue unless the pressure release valve on the pump is adjusted wrong, but that is not something you want to mess with.

Rusty nuts

I just checked the instructions and I bet your hoses are on wrong as port "A" the top one on the pump has a maximum raising pressure of 3200 psi and port "B" the lower on the pump has a maximum lowering pressure of 1500 psi. Make sure you have the Bridon load control valve in the front port of the cylinder also.

vtriflebuilder

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to help. I double checked the hoses and the load control valve, which were in the correct ports. But when I read what Rusty Nut had to say about running the dump up and down 15 times to get the air out I realized where I went wrong. I had only run it up and down once after installing before I put a load in which it couldn't dump. This morning I cycled it through a couple dozen times and then by faith went and had 4 yards of crushed rock loaded. It didn't hesitate to dump the load! I will say that on my second trip I got a little cocky and had them put over 5 yards in and I had to use my backhoe to scoop some out before it would dump. I guess now I know its limitations :) Thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks