• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem with fuel pump

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok the boat has been stuck in the shop with a bad fuel pump any tips on rebuilding one.
The issues you will find are that most NOS rebuild kits will have diaprams that don't like the new fuel.

I have used a company the makes new kits with new componets that will stand up to the new fuels.

I don't know if they have a kit for the M37 but you can find out. They do make kits for the M715.

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

MitchG

The one I have has brand new fresh stuff in it. No NOS parts. If you don't want to go the swapout route check with Then and Now. I think that is the correct name. They sell fresh kits for just about any rebuildable pump made. That is where the kit in mine came from.

MitchG

Oops, just looked the site up and it the same one Warthog has in his post. I didn't realize then and now was part of the maritime racing outfit. They sell topnotch kits, and they do have one for the Carter pump in the M37's

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, just looked the site up and it the same one Warthog has in his post. I didn't realize then and now was part of the maritime racing outfit. They sell topnotch kits, and they do have one for the Carter pump in the M37's

Glad to know that as I have a NOS pump that is sealed in the original bag. If and when I need it I will order the rebuild kit. Thanks

Bill W

When you rebuild it make sure you have the check valve's seated properly in the recess's, you can use a small socket to fit over the edges of the valve to give it a extra push to make sure its up snug against the gasket ( mine kinda "Clicked" into the recess ). If your old pump uses a roll pin that the pivet arm rotates on make sure you change it out to the solid pin that should come in the kit ( roll pins are weak and break ). The only difficult/PIA part is getting the 2 diaphram stems onto the pivet arm.
I believe the new rebuild kits are called Alfa kits

Attachments

Last edited:

MitchG

Great points Bill!! I will second and third the part about the diaphram stems on the arms!! That took me about as long to get them hooked as it did to finish the rest of the rebuild!!!

majorhitt

I'll go along with the diaphragm stems being a PIA. I had the levers and stems all jazzed up,just about ready to toss the whole setup, and go with the electric pump. I also looked into Then and Now, didn't go that route. Got the pump all together and working. I built a stand to mount the pump on with a lever to work the pump. It was easier than installing it and hope it worked. Once I had the pump all assembled I mounted it to the stand, ran a few lines for pick up and discharge, and started pumping. When I was more or less happy with the performance, I then mounted back on the engine. It's still working. The home made stand was worth the effort. It's put away until the next pump rebuild.

Last edited:

majorhitt

I had a rebuild kit that I had picked up at a MV meet, After several attempts I was looking at picking up a kit from or have Then and Now do the rebuild. Then I made the stand for testing the pump,Again after pulling what little hair I have left out I finally got it back together correctly. When the time comes and I need a fuel pump rebuild kit, I'll go to Then and Now.

STSCSS

The stand sounds like a great idea. since I now have a couple 37's it will pay to have this little jig in the shop. Wjat is the best way to clean up the innards?

STSCSS

Found out that the fuel pump is working quite well today seems the gas gauge reads 1/4 full an THE GAS TANK IS EMPTY!!!!
Put some 90 octane in the tank and refilled the gas lines by use of a suction pump and the boat just started up!

Moral check the gas lines before replacing the fuel pump.

Now it's time to replace the sending unit in the tank