• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems starting when HOT

Boxdoc1960

Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be the problem. She starts right up cold when the glow plug "WAIT" light comes on but if she's warm and the light doesn't come on, she wont start.

She's a 6.2 Detroit

Last edited:

mudguppy

when we were out in the field, we'd pop the hood and pee on the pump - the fuel solenoid gets hot and sticks when it is going bad. usually just the solenoid and not the whole pump.

btw - hot pee stinks. use water if it's available.

Boxdoc1960

Injection pump solenoid

Where on the engine is it located. Can I get away with just replacing the solenoid or do I have to replace the whole pump? I design relays and contactors (solenoids) for military aircraft so testing the solenoid is NP;-)

Again, It's my first diesel.:oops:

mudguppy

IIRC, it's on the end of the IP. we used to just replace the top/end cover that housed the solenoid if we had it, as we could never have enough IP assy's on hand to keep up w/ demand (we were a DS unit w/ 58 customer units).

kennyw

You can replace just the solenoids, they are located inside of the IP though. The IP is located top center of your motor. Just forward of the intake manifold (it has one fuel line going in and 8 fuel lines out).

Boxdoc1960

I figured if I traced the fuel line I'd find the IP but knowing what to look for is a big help. Is it a difficult job to swap out the solenoid? Any tricks like bleeding the lines or turning the engine with the power disconnected ect.?:?:

stampy

I had problems with my square fuel filtrer(on the firewall passengers side) and replaced it with a Filter kit from Walmart(back in boating section ) its a screw on filter with more capacity and you can prefill it so your IP doesn't run dry unlike the square ones which are a pain to change.

Boxdoc1960

I just got off the phone with Advanced Auto Parts. They want $422 for a fuel pump and are calling the solenoid a relay. Is the solenoid an electrical switching device or mechanical? They can't get the relay. Any suggestions on where to get the solenoid/relay besides a dealer?

SmokeyDod

I would ck a few things before assuming it's the IP. First since its starting up when cold you can feel that your glow plugs are good & working correctly. Since your problem is actually not starting after driving awhile & engine is warm (which should be best time it should crank) since your glow plugs don't come on and normally should fire right up. When you shut your engine down and it won't fire up, look at the IP and see if there is any leaking fuel there or in the "pan" valley. If there is then that's most likely your problem as the IP pressure is leaking down. It also can be leaking down around your fuel filter which is mounted on fire wall. Sometimes the alum base can "crack" or leak at rubber seal. Look at TM-9-2320-289 pages 3-122 thru 3-130 to get idea what & where the shut-off & high advance solonoids are. I personolly dont think thats your problem. If you feel like that what it is, I have some used ones that should be okay. I would be glad to send one to you just for say UPS cost + $15.00 to pack it & go to UPS. If the one I send you is not a good one just PM me and I will send you your money back except for the UPS cost. Hope you get it figured out & if I can help--let me know. Smokey

Boxdoc1960

SmokeyDog,

I'm checking out a couple of other things as well before I dig into the IP. I don't see any leakage of diesel but I may take you up on the offer if all else fails. Last night I cleaned the electrical terminal for the solenoid. They were pretty corroded. After which, I drove to the gas station to top off the tank. I left it run just in case. When I got home I let it sit for a couple of minutes and she started right up. I'm not sure if cleaning the terminals had any effect since the hot starting problem is a 50-50 occurrence. I'm going to drive her to work for the next couple of days, that way I can let her sit a couple of minute and re-start her just to see. If she doesn't start there will be plenty of time to let her cool down.:-D

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Owning an big green machine wouldn't be possible without all the great people here on Steel Soldiers.:-D

Boxdoc1960

IP Solenoid

[FONT=&quot]It does appear as though the IP solenoid is the problem with the hot start issues. I took the truck out for a spin and let her sit for a few minutes after I got home and she wouldn’t start. I ran cold water from the garden hose over the pump for about five minutes and she started right up. I repeated this about three times, each time with the same results. :cry:

Thanks to all that responded to my problem. It probably saved me hundreds of dollars not having to take her into a shop for repair, not to mention my marriage. If I spend much more on her I may be sleeping in her:-D

Smokydod, if you read this I may take you up on your offer. I have a fellow patriot that is a diesel mechanic at a dealer. He's looking into whether her can get me one at cost. If not I'll PM you to set things up.

Thanks again to everybody who helped..:-D

[/FONT]

Westech

CPL
you can get the parts off ebay.... or get a used pump and swap out the parts. Its really ez.. pnly 3 bolts to take the top plate of the Injection Pump off. GET A REPAIR MANUAL! Chilton at Autozone or your other auto parts store. The Fuel shuf off solenoid was only like 40 bucks whae I had to replace mine in a M1008 a couple years ago.

here ya go!!
http://shortlinks.net/exz508

http://shortlinks.net/unp433

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks