• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems with finding the correct pitman arm

Started to do some research about said pitman arm, because it has some bad play that I wanna get rid of, and came across the mighty problem of "what's the right one for my vehicle"

I have a 1988 M998A0 (6.2L 3 speeds), I THINK that the correct one is NSN 2530012528362 but I'm not sure, I'm very open to any correction and enlightment on what pitman arms the Humvee used throughout the years

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
only real difference between the early one and the newer ones (up to serial number 246889) is the original trucks used a thinner drag link, and to use a newer pitman or idler arm you need to add a couple washers to take up the extra length of the threads on the ball end. That's the only functional difference; everything else is the same.

After going through a couple of idler arms, going to the Moog problem solver version was definitely worth it.

Here's the difference between the idler arms. The pitman arms have a lot less difference between them, but still a definite upgrade.
1cc3187aa3cc3aab02d0aceab5ee94757087ca80-1.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That problem is solved by using the parts TM and looking up your truck, your truck is a M998, no such thing as an A0 (EDIT, not in the TMs anyway)
The parts TM for your truck is 9-2320-280-24P-1 and -2 available for free on a sticky near the top of the HMMWV forum.
First you look up the UOC (Usable On Code) and you will see your truck is an H13
UOC.JPG

Then you go to the steering section and the part you are looking for is part of number 7
Steering.JPG
So then you go to the parts list, (next page)
Steering1.JPG
You will see two listings for #7, the first on has H13 as an applicable UOC, the second one is for the A2 trucks.
You will also notice that column 3 has the NSN number and column 5 has the manufactures part number, search both numbers and only buy from a reputable dealer or you will likely get a Chicom knockoff.
And as noted above this particular part can be filled by ether the basic/A1 or the A2 part but that is rare and you will need to add a 5/8 flat washer as the threaded part of the taper is longer.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will also need a GM pitman arm puller, having the right tool makes the job much easier, you can likely get a loner from the local parts house.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and clarification and info

Extra quesiton, did anybody ever buy stuff from "Omnia Warehouse" on Amazon? If so, is their stuff any good?