• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems with the Deuce

GERMAN-REO

hi members i have some drive problems with my deuce hope my english is good enough
Hello,
Could you help me with this problem ?
I have changed the fuel filter (the one on front of the engine) of my REO on Friday, to attend a military vehicle show.
After changing the filter, the engine runs smoothly up th 35 mph but if i go faster or uphill, the engine is losing power for about 5 sec.

After 5 sec it's regaining it's power and it starts all over again. It sputters. So i can't go over 40mph and a hill stopps it.
I've bled the fuel system ,the fuel pump is running and the fuel is streaming properly at the filter during bleeding without air.
It sounds different though ! Other people with a REO say that the pump is ok. I've found me a pump and will replace it.
Problem is, i can't isolate the fault at once and you have to do it step by step. I'm sure it has to do with changing the fuel filter but that's about it.

Ok i've changed the fuel filter, bled the system but same problem.
Next we changed the fuel pump in the tank,it's an original one.
Problem stays the same !!!
Any ideas !!!

goldneagle

Did you check the other fuel filters? There is more than one fuel filter on a Deuce. maybe the other one is clogged or has air in it.

Also check the gasket to make sure there in no air getting into the system. Check the fuel lines for air leaks as well.

Welcome to the site.[thumbzup]

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with goldeneagle, because of the symptoms you describe, I would look carefully for any restrictions or possible air leaks in the fuel delivery.

Welcome to this forum and let us know what you find when the problem is solved.

Rick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, if the problem started when you changed the primary, I'd look at all the filters first. They are WAY cheaper than anything else. Just so we are correct, is this a multifuel motor?

jdr2710

I don't know if this trick I used to use on carbureted gas engines to find vacuum leaks will work, but I sprayed small amounts of starter fluid around suspect areas and listened for the idle sound to change. Seems like if you spritz the potential areas that air could get sucked in you might get an indication.

If this is a bad idea with the REO, somebody please jump in and warn against it!

goldneagle

I don't know if this trick I used to use on carbureted gas engines to find vacuum leaks will work, but I sprayed small amounts of starter fluid around suspect areas and listened for the idle sound to change. Seems like if you spritz the potential areas that air could get sucked in you might get an indication.

If this is a bad idea with the REO, somebody please jump in and warn against it!
I would not be spritzing any flammable gas in the engine compartment just to find a leak. Kinda like using a match to find a gas leak...

roughroad

not much experience with these yet but if its a diesel than you could have gotten air in the injector and you would have this problem. or one similar to it. then again i could be barking on the wrong tree

Kohburn

I would hazzard a guess that the new filter is either too restrictive or allowing air to get sucked in at high draw rates.

GERMAN-REO

hello friends
i have found out what it was
so i have open the primary fuel filter again after i have check all the fuel lines with a leak spray
i have open it and have take out the spring and the metal item who press the filter on the body from the filter (hope you understand my bad english)
and then i lay the filter inside without the items and the deuce runs great
i know it can not filter the dirt out but i must drive to the meeting this weekend and i hope i damage not other items when i dont have the primary fuel filter in use
my guess is it was not right inside has anyone a picture who i can see the inside of the primary fuel filter when it is in use?
i think i have seen this a time ago in an ps magazine but i cant find the issue
regards from germany:mrgreen:

not really wanting to jump in on this thread , i am new and cant figure out hot to start a new one, anyway here goes , maybe someone can help, my deuce wont build air past 50 .wnen i shut her down i can locate air pressure comming from the engine breather tube , this just started and has me baffled , salvorone 386-409-9291 or reply thanks

Petro

Pic´s from the meeting.......

Hi!

Woher aus Bayern kommst Du?
Where do you come from Bavaria?

The last picture is my deuce!

Best regards!

Stefan from Bavaria!

b money

It seems that alot of the trucks in your pictures have yellow/orange "safety" lights mounted on them is this a euro/german law or.....? I'm just wondering because i'v only seen a few with those type of lights here in the states.

By the way you guys have some nice trucks over in autoban(hope I spelled this right) country. Iv always wanted to see what it would be like to go by a cop at high speed and not see them good ol' blue n red lights :-D

Petro

Hi!

No the orange flashlights ( we called it "Kasperl" in Bavaria, it means Clown or so in english ) are not german law, but so many deuce´s that come out
from the army in germany had this mounted.
I think this where US Army law in Germany, even the yellow/red warning sticker on Tailgate.

The expansible shop van´s are relly great truck´s!!

Stefan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks