• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

progress report(updated)

red devils dude

After working on the deuce all day all I really got done was finishing up the removal of the right fender.
I started by drilling a big hole(1.5") and trying to grab the nut that had
broke free(the caged nuts on the back part) that didnt work at all
so I tried a wrench thay didnt either so I cut the head off the bolt with a hacksaw blade by hand that was fun aua
Next I moved all the wire's that might be damaged when I clean the
frame rails for painting and looked over the axle real well to make sure
no water was going to get in it and checked the boot's etc and by this time
it was geting dark so I called it a day :driver:

here's a pic of the engine lifting bar for the deuce, A local rigging company
is going to fab it for $300

Attachments

houdel

Yes, working on 40 year old trucks get to be frustrating at times. Get a Dremel tool (available at Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Sears, etc.) They are very usefull for all sorts of tasks, have hundreds of tools and attachments and fit in pretty tight spaces. I use the heavy duty cut-off wheels (not the ones that come in the standard accessory packs, you have to buy them separately) for bolt cutting. Faster cutting and a LOT less effort than a hacksaw, plus you can use the Dremel in places a hacksaw won't work.

A heat wrench (oxy-acetelyne torch) is great too if you can afford one. Heat a frozen nut, stud or bolt to a dull cherry red, let it cool off, and they will generally come out. Expansion of the heated fastener will usually break the rust bond which is holding the threads to the mating part. Propane usually won't work, you can't get the parts hot enough. I haven't tried MAPP or oxy-MAPP, that might work and you can it a lot cheaper than oxy-acetelyne.

Good luck on your project. -- Lee

ida34

Ive been beating my head up against a brick wall called an 89 F350. I used this for my truck and to plow my drive. The steering column was really loose. Usually just takes tightening screws. The ignition switch was not hitting the start position it was so loose. Well the column was screwed but I had a replacement out of the none rusted out cab that will be installed this summer. I wanted to get it starting and do a tune up. During my removal of the column I found that the inside u-joint on the front end axle shaft was fried also. I also need to fix the leak at the ypipe and converter. All this made me wish I was working on my Deuce. I also was thinking I should just get ride of it and use the Deuce for truck duty and get a Cucv blazer to put a plow on to do the driveway.

Torches are great but I only know how to cut and heat. Now I need to figure out how to weld with it. I hope you get it going soon. I knew I would not have the time or patience to put one together so I got mine running. Now I just need to put the goodys like the winch on.

rdixiemiller

I learned to weld with a cutting torch and a coat hanger. My great auntie (died last year at 98 yrs) worked in the Panama City shipyard during WW2. I learned how to gas weld, and my great uncle taught me how to splice wire rope. I can lap a carburator needle and seat with toothpaste, pour the rod bearings in an old Chevy, knurl pistons to eliminate slap, and hone brake cylinders with a split dowel and some sandpaper.
You can learn a lot from the old timers in your life, just shut up and listen!!!!!! You never know when you will end up working on something that you cannot buy parts for.
Hell, I've even made piston rings out of a piece of cast iron pipe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks