• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Progressive Insurance on a deuce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenjeepster

So here is the deal with Progressive. I insured my first deuce with them in 2009 on my personal car policy and in a few months they dropped the deuce. I added it back on a farm policy which was later canceled. I have since been going back and forth with them because I wanted to stay with the same company my cars are with and due to the cost of switching to another company I have to keep my cars with Progressive.

So I have been going back and forth with them for a few months now vie email and the answer was always no. I was very clear that it was a former military vehicle as I do not want any surprises later.

I received quotes from Travelers and Gieco on the truck and emailed them again with the quotes attached. I offered to email pictures of the truck and I asked to see their clause that states no military vehicles.

Their response was to give them a call at the commercial division. I did so this morning and they were able to write the policy using the Gieco policy as a template. Because of the 15 digit vin Number I have to send in proof of registration...

The coverage is 100/300/100 and has no restrictions on use. No mile limits. The cost was 950.00 per year... Which is the same as Gieco except that Gieco's coverage was 20/40/20.

They were not able to produce the clause that restricts military vehicles from being insured through them...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were not able to produce the clause that restricts military vehicles from being insured through them...

It's not necessarily a "no military vehicle" issue as I doubt they'd deny a M1009 or similar but, as far as your auto policy, it's a matter of weight. There are specific exclusions in the Progressive Auto Policy for vehicles over 10k pounds. I have no idea if their commercial policy has any language regarding military vehicles.

I was a Branch Claims Manager for Progressive for 10 years so know a lot about how things work for that company. The people who sell the policies have NO idea whether something will be covered or not under the policy. They have a template that they put your information in and it says "YES" or "NO" and that's about it. You wind up finding out if you have coverage once you have a claim. If the company denies your coverage they can always say "you should have read the policy" if it turns out your vehicle doesn't meet the policy definitions. You can scream all day long that the agent told you that you were covered but if there is no written or audio proof that they told you something then it's your word against theirs. I've seen claims where the insured said the agent told them they were covered and the agent denied saying that and said the person "misinformed" them about the vehicle (usually had to do with expensive wheels/tires/stereo). The company then can decide whether to cover the claim and go after the agent's E&O coverage but THEY DO NOT HAVE TO DO THAT. It's a case by case decision usually made by the State or Regional Manager.

Knowing all this, there is no way in he77 I'm going to insure with them after having had them tell numerous people that they would not cover a deuce.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Progressive absolutely sucks when it comes to insuring MVs. I had progressive for my Civy vehicles and motorcycles. I've now got Geico for the civy stuff (and the CUCV) and a local agent for the larger MVs.

There's other reasons I don't like progressive, but I can't go into that due to rules.

spicergear

Progressive told me directly they have never covered a military vehicle...AFTER I had already gotten home with a fresh insurance card from them?!?! Told me that it was no good and they already refunded my debit card. Thanks...d!cks.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progressive told me directly they have never covered a military vehicle...AFTER I had already gotten home with a fresh insurance card from them?!?! Told me that it was no good and they already refunded my debit card. Thanks...d!cks.
Unless you bought it online it wasn't the Company but the Independent Agent that just happens to sell their policies (along with a dozen other companies). At least they got in touch with you and refunded your money before any issue came up.

I'm not defending Progressive (there's plenty of issues to not like about them). What I'm trying to point out is that you shouldn't take a chance listening to a salesman, whether they're selling you insurance, a used car, or an enlistment in the military. They are there for ONE reason and that's to get you to sign the paperwork.

I know how boring it can be but YOU MUST READ THE POLICY. I was trained to do it and it still puts me to sleep. Under the Definitions section, Your Insured Auto section, and Exclusions section, should be enough information to determine if your vehicle is covered or not.

I'm not giving any legal advice but just want people to know enough not to get screwed somewhere down the line.

Varyag

Heh, I have had insurance with them since 2008. I renewed it this year and went over everything again with them to make sure. Said I was still good. Maybe I need to look into other companies.

I have a commercial policy under the farm style. Mine is for liability only if that matters.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heh, I have had insurance with them since 2008. I renewed it this year and went over everything again with them to make sure. Said I was still good. Maybe I need to look into other companies.

I have a commercial policy under the farm style. Mine is for liability only if that matters.
Most of my time with Progressive was in WA (Spokane, Kent, and finally Yakima).

I really didn't have much to do with the Commercial Vehicle side so can't really comment on that but there have been TOO many people on here that said they added it to their AUTO policy and I know that wouldn't be covered under any circumstance.

ARYankee

Progressive also has a historic vehicle insurance but it has limits. I found that out a month or so ago because I was trying to get it to where all my vehicles were with one insurance company but that didn't work out. So far State Farm as done me good with my MV insurance. I have Progressive for my civis which they have done me great as well.

pat038536

I have Geico insuring my Deuce. I told the agent over the phone that it was a former MV, 2.5 Ton truck and is only for *non-commercial use*. They added it to my existing policy as a 1966 Kaiser 2.5 Ton Truck.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Geico insuring my Deuce. I told the agent over the phone that it was a former MV, 2.5 Ton truck and is only for *non-commercial use*. They added it to my existing policy as a 1966 Kaiser 2.5 Ton Truck.
Did they ask you what the truck weighed? To them a 2.5 ton truck just means it can carry 5k pounds (if they even realize that). Most policies specifically exclude vehicles weighing over 10k pounds. Again, I would suggest reading the sections of your policy that I pointed out above. If you have an accident that causes a serious injury or death would not be the time to find out the policy reads differently.

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

Progressive's Commercial policy for my Deuce was over 2000$ a year. They wanted 220 bucks a month. After about 2 months, I stopped paying them. I would rather pay some guy in a bad suit in a crummy office in a back alley behind a liquor store to insure my Deuce. Progressive is a ripoff for commercial vehicles. Since then, I decided to register historic, and I got classic insurance from Haggerty for like 370 a year. I may not be able to drive it everyday, or haul trash to the dump legally, but hey, if the cops dont say anything, how would the DMV know? :beer:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to show proof of registration because if my state will register it, they have to offer insurance on it. Because insurance is required under state law...
You might want to go back to law school if you believe that. I can register an armored vehicle and that doesn't mean every insurance company that does business in the state has to provide a policy to cover it.

cjcottrill

I have a deuce, cucv, toyota, & cadillac all insured with the same company, I just dropped a 1 ton duelly dodge. All combined is less per year than they wanted for your deuce. The deuce is registered with the insurance company as a commercial vehicle because of it's weight. If I throw in my house insurance it's still less. Call several local independant agents, check several, you should find one that will work with you. My policy is with a national underwritter, not some fly be nighter or speciality company either. Spend some time to research your area. Be aware that driving record, claim history and even credit score makes a difference. Good luck

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My policy is with a national underwritter, not some fly be nighter or speciality company either.
Gulfway is actually underwritten by Travelers. Funny thing is I have Travelers for my Homeowners and Auto but my agent couldn't write the deuce through them. It's still a TX policy with the same company but the local people can't do the same arrangement.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All my insurance has been with USAA for over 40 years. When I wanted to add my deuce two years ago, they had the policy underwritten by Progressive for $460 per year. While I did not me "Flo" yet, I am satisfied with the policy.

Tahoe

Same here with USAA. Except that Progressive said I had to keep it in a locked garage before they would cover it.

So I went with the State Farm guy in town. He looked at it, loved it, and issued a policy on the spot.

Tahoe

Clay James

I went with a local Farmers agent for my M35A2 and M109A3 after doing some searching and coming up with dead ends and crazy prices. The guy knew trucks pretty well and knew exactly what deuces were so I'm sure that helped. It's $22 for 6 months for each truck.

greenjeepster

With Gieco you need to make sure you are on a commercial policy, their limit for auto is 10000 lbs. Progressive is 12000 lbs... Like previously states you need to be clear about the weight of the vehicle... If you said it is a 2.5 ton truck they may put that in as the weight.... and you would not have any coverage.

I have shopped around for 4 months at this point. I am happy with the price of 950.00 a year... I do live on "The Gold Coast", everything here costs more than anywhere else in the country. The bast rate I was quoted was through gulfway underwritten by travelers. That was 167.00, but I use this truck and didn't want collector insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks