• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prohibition on active auction links

Status
Not open for further replies.

91W350

Who sets the threshold on whats "regular GL fodder" and whats historic or unusual? Theres stuff out there that some would not bid on but think its pretty neat and want to share and some who think that "pretty neat" is worth bidding on and would rather not see it broadcast. Thats where we end up with the arguing over what post stay and what post get deleted.

Just my 2cents, spend it as you like.
We would gladly buy as many airplane hulls as we could get our grubby little fingers on. Even if we had to rip them apart with grapple buckets and skid loaders, the amount of aluminum to recover would be quite valuable to us. Transporting the thing is the big problem, if they would let us tear them apart in their yard, we might move to.... I know what you are saying Jeff and I agree. What would be a great deal for us would not do the average Joe much good. Kind of like the 60 or so five tons now, with no engines and wrecked noses, not many folks have the means to handle them, much less gain much from their recovery.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an excellent rule and should drfinitely be kept intact. The potential for collusion problem is a serious one. Another problem is that many of us bidding on lots from GL and other auctions, dedicate a large amount of time doing research before bidding, including site visits, which can be very expensive. Anyone bidding can also choose to dedicate time and money for inspections and research and then decide whether to bid on the lot. Or, they can roll the dice and bid blind. In my opinion, PMs about current auctions should also be banned because there is nothing to stop potential collusion or trading information about auctions using PMs.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PMs about current auctions should also be banned because there is nothing to stop potential collusion or trading information about auctions using PMs.

I like the "no posting" rule but think that your idea would be going a bit too far. What I say in a PM to another member, who is mostly likely a fairly close friend, is really no ones buisness. While I don't hold any misperceptions about confidentiality I can't imagine the mods going through PMs on a regular basis and the idea that they would need to in order to "protect" the site from FED intervention is a bit ludicrous. I can just as easily pick up the phone and call someone about a lot and if I don't have their phone number can PM them to send it to me. Anything beyond saying don't post live auctions is :deadhorse:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont see the PM police coming about any time soon.

One other thing to mention is in general, at any one time, for every one member signed in and using this site, there are two guests who dont contribute anything looking at the site. As I write this, there are 87 members and 171 guests online. No need to post anything on auctions for all the world to see.

mcmullag

Mr. emmado22, you asked about the unit for that tank. Still researching but found another pic of the same vehicle and using my magnifying glass, it looks like it shows: " 4 ID 1-221 X " but the X appears it may be crossed cannon barrels. Some folks on this site serve on Ft. Carson where this was, so they may answer better than I.

Attachments

littlebob

I support the rule too. Someone with no horse in the race, can bring attention to something that someone else is bidding on. Free advertising for a particular item for free. This rule also works for the auction, as it keeps us from discussing defects. When a friend of mine was bidding on his truck, I previewed the five up at the lot and there were issues good and bad with all. If I don't have the money to bid on something and I don't have the means to preview it, I wouldn't bid on it. He also went and previewed after I told him what I found when I went. He got a really nice truck for a decent price and one in the lot had some serious deficiencies that would have made impossible to drive off the lot. The truck with the deficiencies brought the most money.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we had no such rule, some members would complain.

If we have the rule, some members do complain.

If we made some exceptions, some members would complain.

If we had no rules, some members would complain.

The issue is not up for debate. So stop complaining.

To those who accept and or support the rule/rules, Thank you.

To those who don't accept or support the rule/rules, well, that's too bad.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like the "no posting" rule but think that your idea would be going a bit too far. What I say in a PM to another member, who is mostly likely a fairly close friend, is really no ones buisness. While I don't hold any misperceptions about confidentiality I can't imagine the mods going through PMs on a regular basis and the idea that they would need to in order to "protect" the site from FED intervention is a bit ludicrous. I can just as easily pick up the phone and call someone about a lot and if I don't have their phone number can PM them to send it to me. Anything beyond saying don't post live auctions is :deadhorse:
I know Doghead has already closed the thread, but I'd like to offer a little insight to things.

PM's are not readily available for other people to read besides the sender and the recipient. To read the PMs of other people, you'd have to be staff and pull the actual database table and query what you're looking for.

I do not do this. I certainly have the ability to do it. But it's not my place to snoop. The only time I would even consider doing this, is if I were court ordered to do this. Or in order to research a problem a user was having. But any time I've ever needed to troubleshoot someone's account, I've PM'ed them first asking if I could log in as them.

I work in healthcare, I'm legally bound to uphold the most highest of ethics when it comes to personal information. Since this is another job of mine, that same mindset is applied here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks