• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project International Rat Rod LDT 465

Joeinderry

Ive bobbed 3 deuces so far but now its time to try something else. I have a leftover engine, transmission, rear end, fuel tank and a few other odds and ends. Just picked up an old beat up International S1800. Plans are to customize frame in rear to lower it, shorten frame by 8', drop front by putting front end in front of frame rather than under it. Of course the drivetrain will be a 465 LDT Turbo D. Roof will be chopped after the truck is in driving order. Adding pics as I go. Any advice, recommendations, etc... is welcome. I will be searching this sight for good used parts as well, I don't want to use new parts.

Attachments

rustystud

I was working at IHC when they came out with the "S" line of trucks. Shinny new with that new truck smell ! So to hear of a S1800 as "old and beat up" got my attention.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Subscribed. I've wanted to do a military rat rod for a while.....my engine of choice would be the V-8 Detroit since nothing sounds like that old "Yamaha" winding out at full throttle.
The only thing stopping me is a place to work, money, fabrication skills, patience and money.

Joeinderry

I believe its the 392 gas engine. Does not run. The carb has been off for quite awhile and I'm sure mice made a nest in there.

Last edited:

Joeinderry

A Detroit diesel would be nice but I don't have one. The snow and cold weather is stopping me at this point. It's a low budget project so I am using what I have and hopefully find the few parts I need right here on SS.

Section8

I am going to be doing something simular. I am doing a cross hybrid of an international 1600/1700 with my 1956 M135. Use the frame from the international and welding deck and the cab and axles with transfer case from my M135. The power steering set up on the international will be a nice feature. Eventually I will swap in the cummins 6BT that I have sitting around.

Section8

Would love to have 5 ton Rockwell axles or original 4x4 ten bolt axles from the international so that I could run MRAP rims with out having to modify.
Of course like you money dictates what and how the built goes.

61sleepercab

My buddy and I have a IH S1600 crew cab with a CAT 3208 and an Alison automatic destine for a Jerdan Roll back. This will be our light duty old iron grabber. How will the Cat do in this set up Joeinderry?

Joeinderry

ratrod22115 005.jpgratrod22115 006.jpgratrod22115 008.jpgShoveled and snow blew the International out of the snow today. Next weekend I will bring it home. Picked up the grill that I'm going to use and an empty grenade for the shift handle (Dug out of my grandmothers flower garden a few years ago). I took a picture of the Ford 8N buried in the snow behind the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks