• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project International Rat Rod LDT 465

rustystud

View attachment 543831View attachment 543830View attachment 543829Shoveled and snow blew the International out of the snow today. Next weekend I will bring it home. Picked up the grill that I'm going to use and an empty grenade for the shift handle (Dug out of my grandmothers flower garden a few years ago). I took a picture of the Ford 8N buried in the snow behind the truck.
Your grandmother must be one hard core woman ! Planting ordinance around the house like that .

tobyS

You have to find an old M211 and do one of these its always been in the back of my mind to do one.

WOW... Good find.

How about using an M931 frame, engine and cab and doing the same thing. You would have highway gearing and lowered front, both could be air ride. I have some MRAP rims and NDCC 14.00's that would give a similar look.

Cool!!!

Section8

Hey Ruststud,
Since you worked at IH would you have any clue as to what motor I have? I have searched all over the engine for numbers and can't find any other than the firing order on the head.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. Just want to know incase I need parts.
Another side note. It seems all the older internationals all had that same boring beige color.
Found out mine is a 1981 IH 1624 model.
It is a gas V8 which used to run on propane but has since been turned back to gas.
All info I can find for it says it could have a 404, 401, or a 392-5?

Attachments

rustystud

Hey Ruststud,
Since you worked at IH would you have any clue as to what motor I have? I have searched all over the engine for numbers and can't find any other than the firing order on the head.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. Just want to know incase I need parts.
Another side note. It seems all the older internationals all had that same boring beige color.
Found out mine is a 1981 IH 1624 model.
It is a gas V8 which used to run on propane but has since been turned back to gas.
All info I can find for it says it could have a 404, 401, or a 392-5?
It's a 392 cid engine. The 404 or 401 where the big blocks. The 392 is just a stroker 345 engine. IHC sold a ton of trucks set-up to run propane. In the 1980's it was "the thing" to do. More power and you didn't have to worry about fuel quality issues. I still own a 1890 with a 392 I rebuilt. You can use Chrysler 440 engine HiPo rod bolts (7/16" ) with just a little reaming. The factory rod bolts where junk. There where 3/8" but in the middle they tapered down to 5/16" thick, then went back to 3/8" . Of course they always broke at the 5/16" section ! Also the oil passages started as 5/8" holes then tapered down to 5/16" halfway through the block. I bought a special bit to drill out the main oil passage to 5/8" all the way through and then drill out the bearing oil passages to 3/8".

Section8

Thanks a heap Ruststud!
Now to get it running proper. Needs a fuel pump and some wiring issues. It won't keep running off the alternator and no charge to the battery.
No the alternator isn't buggered. I checked it. The wiring looks pretty hacked from when someone took the propane system out.
Also took a valve cover off to find to my horror a bunch of gummy big rust flakes and chunks all over. Scares me to think they have probably gone down the push rod tubes.
Might have to pull the motor and tranny and find a multifuel to put in its place. Lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks