• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project M99Ocho

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hola my peeps....

Just picked up my 1988 M998 and am looking forward to sharing my ride with you all on this forum. The plethora of knowledge on here is making my humvee quest a very nice trip. Ill be updating this post from start to wherever I get. hope to get some feedback and hopefully giveback some information to this community.

A few pics to get things going:

Attachments

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, here we are, humvee in barn. How did we get here you ask, or not. I'll tell ya anyway, its my story;)

GovPlanet auction 8/28/19. Been watching auctions for 2 years, kicking my self in the arse for not bidding on many a unit that went for good deals. So i found a unit close to my home, that helped with getting it home at the least expense... That helped me check one more reason off my list to buy one. I was running out of reasons as you can see.

$5600 sell price. I thought that wasn't bad for a 6.5 running engine, straight body, with some possible tranny problems (could be anything, but i was gonna tear it down and rebuild anyway so not a big issue).

EUC......not terrible. I sent it in day after auction 8/29 and got my approval on 11/13... so it turned out to be about 11 weeks for EUC to get approved as a first time buyer.

Scheduled my pickup and realized i needed a truck to pull 5200 curb weigh M998 and the trailer weight. So I was looking at 7500-8500 lbs towed. This number was just outside my Yukons capacity of 7500.. I was at the bottom end and didn't want a burnt up tranny. I outsourced a friend with a Chevy 3500. Now i just need a trailer, and i had a friend with a 15k hydrolic tilt.... Most excellent. Id been to 3 places trying to rent a trailer and looked into the Uhaul joke of a trailer. No way was i gonna put that thing on the Uhaul, I value life, mine and other drivers, well most other drivers.

So i had my setup and rolled down the road 75 miles to pick up the M998. I though about getting a winch to pull it on but after searching and thinking about it, i decided to just let the yard guy put it on trailer with forks. Trust me, I thought many an hour about it and realized this yard guy has moved 30-40 of these on a lift and shouldn't be an issue. And it wasn't.. Easy Peasy, M998 forked onto the trailer with a little side shift to balance load.

75 miles to home base and unload. Tilt trailer worked OK once I used a ratchet strap to pull humvee to back of trailer. The hydro wasn't quite enough to lift it without some assistance. Put a tow strap on front shackle, wrapped it around front trailer frame arm twice, to increase holding resistance, then tilted trailer. It rolled straight down by gravity. All I had to do was let out a little slack at a time to control descent. And wheels just squeezed inside 84" wheel wells. It was on the ground and pushed back into a spot to work on it.

Next step, next post.... Talk at y'all tomorrow. Ill give ya an idea why I call it the M99Ocho

Chad J

My friends call me OchoCinco

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, another day and spent a few hours on rig.. First thing first, loosen it all up and clean er up.

IMG_4458.jpgIMG_4457.jpg

PB Blasted that crap out of it. Gonna make 3-4 passes on everything over next week or so to loosen up all the crud.. And for the inspection:

IMG_4432.jpgIMG_4455.jpgIMG_4428.jpg

So looks like it was overhauled in 2006.. Anyone disagree ?

IMG_4502.jpgIMG_4501.jpg

Has a Nartron S3 box... Any Good ??

IMG_4448.jpg

Anyone have any idea where post 3492 was stationed? I cant find anything on location yet.

IMG_4453.jpg

Got a date stamp... Anyone with a reference for build year ? Because I only found this also, some double triangle in the valley.... :whistle:

IMG_4445.jpg

Oh yeah, the NAVISTAR....

Thanks for looking and thanks for commenting. Any answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.. Till tomorrow my friends..

Ocho out !!

Wire Fox

NG3492 is your truck's registration number. It's not quite a serial number-more like a license plate number that stays with the truck for life. The only thing I know for sure about it is that it's a former national guard truck. Someone with access to a military logistics database (or a Freedom of Information Act request-correctly filed) could tell you exactly what the last unit of issue was with that number.

I can confirm: you've got the good box. The S3 is truly the best one and is also the current one. No need to replace it unless it proves to be defective (it does still happen...).

If you read that stamp the same as I do (12 05 M), that would mean that block was cast on December 5th, 2005. Double diamond would confirm that it's Navistar, built for AM General. (Source: https://thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showpost.php?p=318175&postcount=3)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NG3492 is your truck's registration number. It's not quite a serial number-more like a license plate number that stays with the truck for life. The only thing I know for sure about it is that it's a former national guard truck. Someone with access to a military logistics database (or a Freedom of Information Act request-correctly filed) could tell you exactly what the last unit of issue was with that number.

I can confirm: you've got the good box. The S3 is truly the best one and is also the current one. No need to replace it unless it proves to be defective (it does still happen...).

If you read that stamp the same as I do (12 05 M), that would mean that block was cast on December 5th, 2005. Double diamond would confirm that it's Navistar, built for AM General. (Source: https://thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showpost.php?p=318175&postcount=3)
How do you know it’s a national guard truck? The unit markings are painted over.

DREDnot

How do you know it’s a national guard truck? The unit markings are painted over.
The "NG" in the registration number seems to signify National Guard.
Mine was definitely a national guard truck since new and has the "NG"

DREDnot

OK? So you gonna share?
Random letter? (next in line?)
Date code?

I had an 86 M1009 (Florida National Guard) that had "NF"
I had a 98 LMTV (?FT Hood) that had "NH"

whats the true meaning?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool truck. Neat to see the armored top grill but strange you do not have an armored front grill? Maine trucks have a very good reputation for quality. Might be able to pressure wash the spray paint off the unit numbers to see what it might reveal?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK? So you gonna share?
Random letter? (next in line?)
Date code?

I had an 86 M1009 (Florida National Guard) that had "NF"
I had a 98 LMTV (?FT Hood) that had "NH"

whats the true meaning?
I wish I knew more about this, all I know is that the second letter indicates vehicle family and the registration numbering system that starts with N was launched in 1972 and is still in use.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum Hoosier. Looks like a pretty solid truck, and that price isn't terrible. Time to start doing the Lube Order and checking out here systems. Hopefully nothing terribly wrong with her. Time will tell.
Bulldogger

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out the link I posted above if your interested. It does appear to be West Virginia 201st Field Artillery Regiment..It’s a cool read on Wiki.. They were deployed to Gulf and on the 256th Anniversary of there founding, they fired 256 rounds into enemy positions.. I bet that was a barrage 💥💥💥...Thanks for participating and watching my thread. We will see what happens today with he rig ..

Ocho out

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Check out the link I posted above if your interested. It does appear to be West Virginia 201st Field Artillery Regiment..It’s a cool read on Wiki.. They were deployed to Gulf and on the 256th Anniversary of their founding, they fired 256 rounds into enemy positions..
For the relatively new U.S., that is a major history milestone, and back then they would have been just plain old "Virginia 201st", though not sure how they came up with "201".

Cool, though. Thaks for the note!

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahab, you say “plain Virginia 201st”, cuz that is curious to me because the “W” on the stenciled markings is almost hand written. The rest of the numbers and letters are clearly sprayed through a stencil.. FWIW..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks