• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project: MB

jmccall

A.K.A. Project: Military Bronco

Obviously not a genuine MV, But I will be making it hard to tell. I know it's not very military like just yet, but we are still doing some bodywork.

Myself, Dad, and Brother are all involved in this truck. We're splitting funds for most of this project. I am not generally into fords, but this one is growing on me. My Dad likes a bit of everything and my brother is all about dodge.

We bought the truck as a tow pig/camping rig for our four wheelers. The short wheelbase isn't ideal but the price was. We had the motor rebuilt, it died on us at 198,000 miles. The interior was spray bombed, seats look horrible, and the exterior has been cheaply re-painted. Thankfully not macco cheap though. After the rebuild we figured we would go all out. No sense in turning back. The following are what we have planned.

-custom made safari style roof rack with good lights up front, and cheap foglights on the rear and sides for when we need them.

-Minimizing all interior components. Rubber floor mats, custom door panels all around. Some type of seat covers modified with storage on the backs. Rear panels will be made out of canvas with lots of pouches. They'll snap into place along the bottom of the window and have rifle storage on the bedside behind them.

-Hopefully some sort of new bumpers, even if only for looks. We don't wheel hardcore enough (no rocks) to need real bumpers, just tow points.

-Camo paint job. We had always had the idea, but after the rebuild we had a reason to do it.

-dual exhaust system exiting through the body near the rear tires.

So now you know the plan, here is the progress!
I spent the whole day sanding and scuffing. I ended up looking like a ghost and having white boogers:duh Gotta lay offa that stuff.:rofl:
I took the texture off the sides and rear of the topper while I was at it.

We painted the wheels a while back, did the body lift this past weekend, just got the tires on it yesterday, and started prepping today. (2-19-09) It doesn't look like much in the pictures but I was glad to make such progress. The jambs will be fun:whiteflag And the interior will take some time.

I did all the trim panels camo about two weeks ago, along with a new headliner. I made my own stencil for the pattern. Drew on and cut it out of some thin plastic. Started with the lighter green as a base, then did the black, tan, and dark green. I hacked up a perfectly good door panel just for the top section, but I didn't know they were somewhat hard to find. If it helps, it was only about a 6 or 7 on a 1-10 scale. I will make a new armrest/handle cover, and a piece of canvas with pockets for storage on the bottom.

I made some progress this weekend. After hacking up the drivers door, I came up with a better plan for the passenger side. I'll be keeping the top section of the original panels and making my own lower half. We are keeping everything either black, or camouflage.

I cut out the rear panels and added strips of some left-over fake hard wood flooring. For new panels I will sew up some black canvas with pockets to hold stuff. I went to west marine and got their boat cover repair kit for heavy duty snaps/buttons.

I went to lowes and got some redneck's dynamat. Tar/ashphalt based window flashing. Same stuff but a lot cheaper. Two 9 in. by 33 ft. rolls at $13.00 each +/- did the whole rear. I will be padding the whole trunk and sewing the padding into the canvas side panels. I'll also be using some forest camo vinyl floor mats in place of carpet!

Since I left the curved edge I couldn't just screw the wood to it. I used some thin strips of aluminum to flatten the backside of the panel.

Thats all for now. I Hope you guys enjoy! I cannot wait to start the camouflaging!

Last edited:

jmccall

Made a lot of progress today. My Dad and I got the base colors on, and I started on the camouflage. We took it to the exhaust shop last week to get the hooker aerochambers installed. We cut the body and they did the rest.

I had the idea of making flappers. I didn't think I would like them as much as I do. They do clink even though they are horizontal vs. vertical. I love the aerochambers and their non-drone but awesome sound, plus my home made flappers and their random clanking:p

The slits were cut before I knew exactly how I was going to make them.

Showing the stencil that I made in this picture. You can tell (in some spots better than others) that it is the same pattern being repeated. Once I get the other colors on it will be harder to tell.

That is all for now, but I will keep yous all updated!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks good but the paint will neve pass for a military vehicle Looks more like a hunting vehicle to me anyway.

jmccall

Hey thanks guys! I decided to go with my own style of camouflage after all. I don't think anyone will think it is genuine either, but I am often surprised at how stupid or unaware people can be:razz:

jmccall

I have some more updates! I added the the fourth color today(third stenciled color) and I will be adding some small darker green spots to break everything up before the flat clear goes on!

After I finish the paint, I'll turn my attention to the bumpers and the empty space/rear wheel wells.

EZFEED

Nice work! I always said that if I had another good 1970's to 80's ford Bronco with body cancer issues I'd build a Mad Max type truck :)

Attachments

jmccall

Thanks yota!

Now as the "artist", I find it hard to look past the flaws. Which is the brown and tan IMO. Most all forest camo doesn't have tan. It also focuses on the green the most..my camo ended up being alot of brown. I covered lots of the brown/tan with a small stencil I made for dark green. It really tied it all together if you ask me. Don't get me wrong though, I am very pleased. I look at it as my own style of camouflage.

We are going to paint the jambs too, probably just black. We also took the top off to black those jambs out too. Let me tell ya, it sure gives you the feeling of a whole new truck! I think I fell in love with her for the second time!:histerica

jmccall

LOL Flip! I got tired of it myself, too plain for me. Thanks yota, not what I was planning but I am just glad it came out ok.

Got the bumpers painted, moved up, and installed this weekend. Also drove her down to Ft. Desoto park in St. Pete with my girlfriend. We were stopped at a light and the lady next to us said something was leaking. I knew it was just the A/C by where she was looking. I had it set for the coldest! So It's safe to say that this bronco really gets checked out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks