• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project XM211

Jzallan

I've been working on my truck off n on for years. I've never had the pleasure of actually driving it. It's about 75-80% complete. I did way more than a person should do to a truck like this! It's not restored perfectly, but I like how I did it. Sometimes I think I should sell it and let someone else enjoy it? I've got about $15,000 into this truck (not including labor) I have no idea if that's a lot or a little? Any thoughts? Should I keep plugging away at it? Or let it go? Would I even come close to recovering $$$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SturmTyger380

I did a M38A1 that took 5 years to get done and there is no way I will ever make back what I paid for parts and that does not include my sweat equity.

I have a M37 that I have started and that's the same. I just love working on them and sharing my accomplishments with others like us that love this work.

My M211 is still on my list.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly, you took everything apart then painted everything and reassembled it. I'm sure you have that much in it. New canvas? Brakes work?
If you have a driver they tend to bring more money. A lot of people shy away when the hear $7 a loaded mile to haul it. Can you get it so you can drive it on a trailer?

A friend of mine was going to buy a M35 that did not have brakes 90 miles away. The best price to haul it was $750. He had to pass.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep plugging away at it, finish it one day, then enjoy it for the rest of your life. These vehicles are a labor of love, not a source of profit. Your 9 to 5 is for that. You are upside down on it but we all end up that way.

1944mb

I looked through your pictures and you've done a really nice job on your truck. Restoration definitely is a money sink when you are in the middle of it, but looks like you've got most of the expense taken care of. In my opinion, most restorations bring less than people have into them, and if you could find one that is nicely done, money wise you are probably ahead to buy it completed. You are probably way ahead to buy one like yours, that is almost complete as typically many get where life gets in the way or it gets overwhelming to carry on. I however, enjoy the journey getting there. I think its great to bring something that didn't run back to life.

Following your thoughts, I share your frustration. I know its tough to keep going. But you look like you are really close to driving it down the road. I have a 72 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 that I started tearing apart more than a decade ago! We've moved 3x, had 3 kids and run two businesses-plus built and lived in construction zone since then. I have my days where I'd like to crush it! But Ive found if I work on it as I feel like it and don't guilt/force myself to, I'm happy with it. You know what works well for me?...I make a list of everything that needs to be done, then I don't over commit-every improvement is a victory that can be measured. My two cents-if your up to it, take it a day at a time and finish it! Down the road, as nice a job as you've done so far, you'll be glad you did. I think that's the real value of SS is you can network with people with common interests. How many people on the street do you meet that would even have a clue what a g749 is??! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Jzallan

Making a list is a great idea. Just take it in steps at that point. It is close to finish.
Yes, it has new canvas. It has every brake part replaced (that was a spicy meatball right there!!) I've pretty much done everything and anything to this truck. Made my own wiring harness too. One wire at a time was replaced and soldered in. I incorporated signals into the harness also.
This truck really is fun! I think I'm gonna ditch some other projects I've acquired and focus on this in the near future. Just don't see these on the road and it would be great to enjoy it. Thanks for the replies. Sometimes you need a little encouragement and points of view to push you in the right direction

USMC 00-08

I agree with the guys here. You have come too far to stop now. These trucks are a real joy to drive and they always get a lot of attention on the road. My M135 is the only one running in my area that I have seen and that a lot of the other collectors in the area have seen.

Check out my Youtube video in my signature. I have to watch it from time to time to keep me motivated on my truck. I am prepping mine to paint, but have not and probably will not go as in depth as you have on yours. Your truck looks great!

1944mb

Glad to hear you're gonna continue...I too have the problem of finding too many projects for myself, and when I don't, they find me. Its fatiguing enough to restore a small vehicle then take on a large vehicle with tools needed that arent in the average toolbox, just compounds the problem. Looks like you have the drivetrain and inside of the cab complete...do you have more pics? It looks like you are a hop, skip and a jump from completion-then you can turn some heads with it! I think as "ugly" as od vehicles can have the stigma of being...its amazing how many people love to see them out....and no in my opinion, OD is the only color worth painting! Got Pics?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finish it, absolutely! I'm finally in the position to begin work on my XM211 wo/w & M211 w/w. Your pictures give me hope that I'll finish mine someday.

Jzallan

I purchased it back in 99. It was the last item a guy had from his brother that passed away (what he told me). Looked like he tried doing some work to it, but didn't have a lot of knowledge about paint or bodywork. This was back when I had way more money than sense!! I thought "man, I need that!!" So it sat for a couple years not knowing what in the world I would do with it! I had no idea that there were actually places to get parts. So I dug in by dismantling the whole truck. I even pulled all the cab pieces apart. It was easier to paint and handle by myself. The axles were fun to do also. Pulled those completely apart, cleaned them out and reassemble them. I painted those as I put them together. The cab was assembled on a small trailer because I hauled it to a canvas place to have a top and seats made. She did a fantastic job! Maybe not the exact material it's supposed to be, but I love it! I had to make a scaffolding to roll the cab over the frame and lower it down. It was quite a sight! It really has been a fun project! Think I've gone through about 8 gallons of paint so far! It's expected when you paint it that way. Oh well. Plenty of work ahead, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

jzettek

hey buddy i have an xm211 my self and i agree with the rest of the guys you will never get your money back even with the exceptional job you are doing so far but it is truly an thing of love that keeps us going or maybe we are all a little sick, i don't know butt only you can say what you need to do i guess sometimes they do feel like a lead weight around your neck butt step away for a little and you'll probable get your energy back. sorry i don't mean to get all deep and stuff butt good luck on whatever you decide and great job so far take care Jim.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks