• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Propeller shaft nuts/bolts

47to70

Am in the process of replacing my Deuce's transmission. I can not bust the nuts/bolts loose from the front propeller shaft, did get the jack shaft off, but with great difficulty. The nuts have a sleeve on the outboard side with horizontal cuts in them----------does anyone have a trick for busting them loose? In the process of removing the jack shaft, broke a ratchet, extension, and a wrench, OMG, these things are on tight!

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Half inch drive socket set minimum! Adding a longer handle will help a bunch.

Thats about the best advise I can give.

brianp454

I've had a tough time with them also. My understanding is that they are officially "one time use" fasteners for this reason. Many of mine were destroyed getting them off and I just purchased grade 8 bolts and regular locking nuts to replace the ones on my rearmost drive line. You may have to torch them to get them off. If you have to replace them, do so with high quality made in USA fasteners. Good luck!

47to70

Thanks for the advice, think will pick up a 1/2" breaker bar and new 3/4" socket today for the bolt heads. But, can only get an open end wrench on the nuts do to available space and the nuts are getting a little chewed up

47to70

Finally got the nuts off. I would like to thank you all for the helpful suggestions. Now, if I could just remember why I needed the front propeller shaft out of the way in the first place.

Gringeltaube---Just on did the rear bolts to swing the propeller shaft out of the way----is this not good procedure?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends what tools you have - or prefer to use - for that job. For a big transmission jack it might be better to have some extra room to maneuver. But if you used the classic chain-fall method then the front drive shaft can stay attached.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks