• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper Lubrication for my 1954 M-37

Strud

I just picked up my "new" 1954 M-37. I have pictures in the gallery. It runs great. Not knowing how long it has been since any fluids have been changed and not having any manuals yet, can some of you more knowledgeable point me in the right direction regarding what oil, & fluids weight etc to use as I want to drain everything and put in all fresh fluids. Also for the engine, what oil has the higher levels of "zddp" or zinc and phosphorous required for these older flat tappet engines. We just had quite a discussion on this topic on the WillysTech forum for use in our older jeeps. Also can you direct me to a good source for all of the manuals for these trucks.

Thanks in advance.

M-37Bruce

Welcome

Hey Strud,
What a can of worms you have opened up.....just kiddin' & congrats! You are on the right path, I think you should use the oil that's available, or the brand you comfortable. A couple Dodge nutz that I know personally like ROTTELLA (sp), & half of those folks like the new synthetics.

Unless you drive train have a recent rebuild that you can vouch for, avoid the synthetics for a while, until your sure, some think it will seek out every crack/crevice and run in the other direction?

Lube & oil & fluids swap is probably one of the best ways to familiarize yourself w/ your 54. Now I'm going to go an check out your fotos. BTW, I did the same thing.
Again Welcome,

Capt.Marion

Most people I know (including a couple that have had their M37s for a good while), including me, run Rotella-T 15W-40 in the motor.

I've got a 5 gallon jug of 80W-90 ready to go in the transmission and transfer case, too....

trentM37

Stay away from Synthetics, can cause leaks. Rotella 15W40 is good. I use it. Some like the straight weights. Unless changed out, most gaskets are cork, not rubber. Make sure to add lead additve to gasoline. Old girls use it for lube. Have the longer Canadian motor in mine. Vintage Powerwagons carry most hard manuals and alot of parts, also fabricate some harder ones.

Mike_L

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your truck. I've got nothing to add as to the lube advice. Just make sure when you change fluids, try to get in and clean any old stuff out of the sumps/low spots. I'm sure you already do this with your jeep.

Have you posted on the G741.org registry yet?