• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper maintanence of Optima batteries

rlwm211

I scored two heavy duty Optima type batteries for my M35A2C at a VERY RIGHTEOUS PRICE and I have managed to install them into the battery box and have shimmed them (structural foam) so they are not moving around. Now the question is this:
Should I use a Solargizer on these? I am not sure this type of battery is designed for a Solargizer so I thought I would ask. This truck will be in use fairly regularly excepting the worst part of winter so I am not as concerned as I would be if it was going to sit a lot.
Thanks for the great info on the site. I promise to get digital pics of my deuce uploaded soon.
Becky

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a Lead Acid or AGM battery, Solargizers will do the job they are desgined for.. Just make sure you understand the job they do, and dont think they will do more than that.

Optima's don't need much maintenance. A solargizer should work good. I keep a smart battery tender on my optima redtop when im not going to drive the vehicle for awhile. A smart tender will not only charge but maintain and condition the battery.

rlwm211

I have a smart battery charger with a maintaner circuit but it is only 12 volts so I would have to switch batteries every so often, which is a pain, and I would have to remember to do that. The purpose of a maintainer is to eliminate the remembering part. That is why I am asking about the 24 volt solargizer approach. If that is the way to go, I will pick one up and use that to keep things ready to go.
Becky

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't Optimas different from a lead/acid battery? I'm not sure a solargizer will work with them. The way I understand it a solargizer de-sulfates a lead/acid battery.

maybefixit

Wow, something I can really weigh in on!

As we know, standard car batteries are wet-cell lead-acid batteries. The plates are in a liquid water/acid bath. Advantage: easy to add water when it evaporates off, or if some 'boils' off due to overcharging. Also inexpensive and simple to make. Disadvantage: tends to vent hydrogen, and can also spill sulfuric acid when tipped or cracked.

Optima batteries are Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries, which have a fiberglass mat between the cell plates, and the acid is a gel instead of a liquid. These can be placed in any position (like gel alkaline batteries) and they don't generally vent hydrogen. They will vent hydrogen if overcharged, usually after swelling up their case (a clear sign the battery is ruined). Optimas use a cylinder form factor for the plates, but they can be a regular flat design. Look up Interstate TEL-12-90 batteries to see regular block type AGM batteries.
AGM batteries are used in UPS and telecommunication systems. If you use wet cells, you have to have proper ventilation systems, eyewash station, etc., but using AGM batteries lets you place them in a wider range of locations without all that.

Both battery types are still lead/acid and still subject to sulfation. The solargizer should be fine with them, since their design is for a standard automotive application, as long as it does not exceed the regular charging voltage.

Last edited: