• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper marking of OD gasoline Jerry can

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How were they labeled or marked to keep them from getting confused with diesel?
I have a red one for my genset, but want to paint it OD......

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen them labeled in big black letters...MOGAS. Depending upon the era, the lettering could have been white...I am not certain about the earlier paint schemes.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have seen tons of the steel ones with the top portion painted yellow to signify diesel................

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Proper marking of OD gasoline Jerry can

clinto said:
I have seen tons of the steel ones with the top portion painted yellow to signify diesel................
Me too, and some with red painted tops, presumably to id gasoline.

What did they use to id water?

Here is a link with some info... http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_markings.php

You will find many styles and types of markings painted onto Jerry Cans. THe most common will be a stencil in black, white, or yellow with an indication of the contents: "MOGAS", "DIESEL", "JP-5" and so forth. In many units, there was a practice of painting MOGAS can tops red and diesel can tops yellow.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Proper marking of OD gasoline Jerry can

I have 2 steel water cans and in addition to the entirely different lid/clasp arrangement, they both have "W A T E R" painted on their ends with a stencil.

tmbrwolf

We used to paint the top red for MOGAS and yellow for diesel, on the side opposite the opening we painted MOGAS or DIESEL in 2" letters in black paint, I've seen just the cap painted also, the can was still stenciled.

ida34

The first year of the water jerry can they were the same can with the same top with a W embossed on the side. It only took one year for people to mess it up and the lid was changed. This was during WWII. I do not use the water can and chose to preserve it. I happened to find one of the rare water cans at a garage sale. I was interested in the W and researched it. All the other water cans I have seen have the flip top but this one has the normal threaded top of a fuel can. Of course, the newer water cans are plastic. Now back to the original question. We always had the gasoline cans marked "MOGAS" on the side.

emr

some tops were/ are painted all the way accross, red or yellow, and some around here have been painted just around the spout hole, following the weld, red or yellow, the stanciling ..diesel/gas/mogas for oldy's/has sometimes been down the back or accross the side just under the weld under the handle, never seen both stencils on one can, but ya can bet somebody did it some where...and the plastic ones around here have had the same things done to them ...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Back in the old days when there was no difference between the 5 gal steel cans (WWII), water had a white 2" stripe painted going around the can and also up and down each side (so a cross pattern).

mangus580

Bjorn, you will want to keep that gas can covered when you arent running the genset. Those spigots let amazing amounts of water into the can. (ask me how I know)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marked MOGAS or DIESEL depending on the contents. The latter is self-explanatory, the former is marked as such because when you ran out of gas, you put MO GAS in it.

Okay, that's the only joke I'm gonna tell. Don't all roll your eyes at once.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
Bjorn, you will want to keep that gas can covered when you arent running the genset. Those spigots let amazing amounts of water into the can. (ask me how I know)
I do keep it covered with a tarp, but will hopefully find a proper canvas for the unit. It's work in progress, so there are still things to do...fortunately...got to stay busy...

In general, I would think that the jerry cans are considered waterproof, right ..wrong?

mangus580

cranetruck said:
In general, I would think that the jerry cans are considered waterproof, right ..wrong?
The can itself, maybe. With the generator spigot? I dont think so. I had one on my wood splitter for a long time. I had nothing but trouble with water in the gas.

tmbrwolf

With the can adapter water can enter the vent hole, in the field we got water in them all the time. It's a pain to explain to the commander why his lights and coffee pot keep going out!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tmbrwolf said:
With the can adapter water can enter the vent hole, in the field we got water in them all the time. It's a pain to explain to the commander why his lights and coffee pot keep going out!
Here is a picture of the vent hole, it exits under the "handle" and is not visible from above.
It should be labeled "vented"....

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks