• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper trailer for 802A

boxer4luvr

Thank you for that info sir.

I have this unit currently dedicated to the upcoming 802A. I may want to consider a riser as some guys have suggested, or perhaps having a friend of mine who is handy with a welder to provide a bit of relief work on the rails in the applicable spts for the side panel doors. Any reasons this won't work?...or concerns, etc? Again, this is for a perm mount, not simply for transport.
Trailer_1.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So long as dimensionally an 802 will fit... should be just fine. If its permanent, you might just want to use jack stands at the 4 corners to pick up some of the weight, instead of solely relying on the tires (like they do with trailers). But with that said, it appears to be paid for... which goes a long way towards being the right solution (in my book)!

boxer4luvr

~61" x 32" will certainly "fit" on ~96" x 48". It's those 18" panel doors that are throwing a wrench into the cogs. Worst case scenario, I could always ground-mount it 5 feet or so from my main breaker box. That solves a number of issues... but creates a whole new set of issues, such as how to best work out fuel storage, providing for a simple roof over the unit.... the list goes on.

Thanks!

jamawieb

I have this unit currently dedicated to the upcoming 802A. I may want to consider a riser as some guys have suggested, or perhaps having a friend of mine who is handy with a welder to provide a bit of relief work on the rails in the applicable spts for the side panel doors. Any reasons this won't work?...or concerns, etc? Again, this is for a perm mount, not simply for transport.
View attachment 739979
What I would do is build a small platform about 8-12inches tall to just give you clearance to open the doors over the rails. That would not make it top heavy enough to cause concern, then if you could find a fuel cell that would fit under it, you would be in business. I've seen flat /square fuel cells on craiglist that have been striped from large commercial generators that would be perfect in that location.

boxer4luvr

What I would do is build a small platform about 8-12inches tall to just give you clearance to open the doors over the rails. That would not make it top heavy enough to cause concern, then if you could find a fuel cell that would fit under it, you would be in business. I've seen flat /square fuel cells on craiglist that have been striped from large commercial generators that would be perfect in that location.
What I need is to find the distance up from the bottom of the skid to the bottom of the side panel door... and the distance from the hinge to where the door has the angled cut in it. I can see that it should be something like 4.5" shy of the full 18" width of the door panel. If the two of them combined need a more realistic 28" of clearance, rather than the full 36" I might be able to squeak by. I'll just have to custom fit it when I get my hands on it. :)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think outside of the box here... there is an easy answer, if you are willing to modify a few things. Instead of using the stock hinges that doors are hung on, why don't you remove them, and mount the doors with lift-off hinges? Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Battalion-3H...1535752227&sr=1-1&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Then you just open the door normally, and swing it out enough to clear the upper sheet metal, and lift right up.. door is off, so you have full accessibility.

69birdman

Yeah here is the HF unit: https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62647.html

What I would do is to get some rectangle channel steel (or maybe real heavy wall aluminum), and drill and bolt it to all of the cross members on the trailer (so perpendicular to the cross members), I would then add bolt through holes on said channels, to pick up the mounting hole pattern on the genset. You then get the rise you need to clear the fenders, and its distributing the weight evenly across the front to back. Of course keeping in mind the listed center of gravity of the genset, and of the trailer (if provided by the manufacturer). Add a drop leg to the front with a wheel to roll around as needed, and consider bolting on a rear bracing leg for anti-tip when not attached to a vehicle.
I welded 2 - 3/16" x 6"x 8' steel plates top the top frame ,which really stiffened it up and then bolted skids to them.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 739979
a couple 4x4 posts crossways will be all you need.

USAMilRet

The HF 4X8 tilt trailer is rated for 1720 lbs IF you have the proper tires and rims. The tires that come with the trailer are rated for about 1100 pounds. So for the MEP803A you need to replace the tires and rims which are rated for speeds LESS THAN 45 MPH.

You need tires like the ST145X12 radial load range E rated for about 1550 lbs at 81 MPH. These are 10 ply tires.

boxer4luvr

Think outside of the box here... there is an easy answer, if you are willing to modify a few things. Instead of using the stock hinges that doors are hung on, why don't you remove them, and mount the doors with lift-off hinges? Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Battalion-3H...1535752227&sr=1-1&refinements=p_85:2470955011
Then you just open the door normally, and swing it out enough to clear the upper sheet metal, and lift right up.. door is off, so you have full accessibility.
I'm liking that concept. I had already thought about removing the hinges so I could set the panel aside, but I didn't like the idea of them just dangling around in that hole while the genset was running.

boxer4luvr

The HF 4X8 tilt trailer is rated for 1720 lbs IF you have the proper tires and rims. The tires that come with the trailer are rated for about 1100 pounds. So for the MEP803A you need to replace the tires and rims which are rated for speeds LESS THAN 45 MPH.
You need tires like the ST145X12 radial load range E rated for about 1550 lbs at 81 MPH. These are 10 ply tires.
Thank you sir. I believe I will be able to utilize the trailer I've got. And thanks for the info regarding the tires/wheel combo. I need to check to see exactly what I have.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm liking that concept. I had already thought about removing the hinges so I could set the panel aside, but I didn't like the idea of them just dangling around in that hole while the genset was running.
Well they are under tension from the locking door handles, and should be taught against the panel where the hinges are mounted, so it really should not be much different than you have now. I mean, if you are running with the doors unlocked, you may have a fancy rattle can, but otherwise I think there should be little difference?

boxer4luvr

Well they are under tension from the locking door handles, and should be taught against the panel where the hinges are mounted, so it really should not be much different than you have now. I mean, if you are running with the doors unlocked, you may have a fancy rattle can, but otherwise I think there should be little difference?
Thanks!
This is a learning adventure for me, as I don't have my 802A yet. Just trying to have things properly planned out and such.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks