• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pros and Cons of a m923 to a m923A2

mm73

I am looking at buying a 5 ton but dont know which one to try to get. are there any pros and cons of the engine with a turbo vs the engine without the turbo? Or any other differences in the two that I should consider? I have searched this and only found one thread on it and that thread was all minor stuff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Michael

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M923 is probably the better buy if all things are considered. The A2s generally bring more money. WHile I like the quiet motor, the NHC250 has much more low end torque. Plus, while many parts are consistent across the various series, some parts are A2-specific (translation, hard to find and more expensive). The final determinant is the comparison of the actual truck. If the A2 is cleaner and goes for the same price, the decision in my mind is simple...A2 all the way. If there is a price differential that is significant to you, the A1 or A0 (M939 series truck with 1100s) would be desirable. In the end, it is your choice. I have owned many of each series and I am basing this on experience that encompasses thousands of miles driven with the A0s, A1s, and A2s...and including having multiple in my yard right now.

mm73

BKubu, is the low end torque difference that noticeable? If so, do you think that if i was to turn the pump up some what on the A2's engine that the turbo would spool a little faster and it would make up for the lack of low end torque? also if the A2's low end torque is less than an A0 ro A1, I would think that the mid range and upper range throttle response and general "umph" of the engine would be better since the turbo would be spooled up by then. I have never driven one of these trucks, that is the reason for so many questions. since you have both you are a good SS person to ask.

seano11

That 8.3 cummins can be turned into a pretty bad ass engine . We have one at work at the moment that is turned way up hauling 17 cubes of water and it keep up with our 525 ISX on the hills

mm73

That sounds pretty good. I dont really care to turn it up but just to know that it can be turned up a little is nice to know. I guess I will have to see what I can get the best price on.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BKubu, is the low end torque difference that noticeable? If so, do you think that if i was to turn the pump up some what on the A2's engine that the turbo would spool a little faster and it would make up for the lack of low end torque? also if the A2's low end torque is less than an A0 ro A1, I would think that the mid range and upper range throttle response and general "umph" of the engine would be better since the turbo would be spooled up by then. I have never driven one of these trucks, that is the reason for so many questions. since you have both you are a good SS person to ask.
Sorry for the delay in responding. The low end power difference is noticeable. However, the differences would vary by truck. For example, I have two A2s right now. One runs stronger than the other, but neither has as much power from a dead stop as my A1. I have an M927A1 (with the NHC250) that is brutally strong. You hit the pedal and the truck lurches forward. None of them smoke (I mention this because I don't think the fuel on the A1 has been turned up).

chess

My opinion is the a2 is a much better truck.
Pros
More power, lighter, more reliable motor ( never worry about sleeves rotting out)
Ctis
Flat bottom axles (have a bit more ground clearance.)
Out bore brakes
Cons
More expensive but not by much

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The early 900s have 5 spares, on a singled out truck ANY tire event STOPS you, on a dueled out truck, a front tire event will stop you but you can go a long way on 1/2 a duel set, you can blow one on each duel set and STILL go.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Mark on the CTIS. I have had many A2s, and I have never had one that had working CTIS...at least that worked for very long. That includes the couple where I replaced every CTIS part. You want to talk about an investment in parts?!?! The CTIS on my M928A2 works to some degree. It will fill a tire that is low, but I don't mess with it to lower the air pressure. After it fills any low tires, the computer goes into fail mode (all lights blink). The CTIS on my M925A2 does not work at all. Personally, I feel that the CTIS is the weakest aspect of the A2s.

I love the A2s, but, if I had to buy one truck to work it, it would probably be an A1 (just because I like the look of the super singles). Ron has a good point about the trucks with the 1100s, though. I have been told that a super single blow out at highway speeds can be catastrophic!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told that a super single blow out at highway speeds can be catastrophic!
I keep hearing this, but my own personal experience is different.

I had a right front 1600.20 blow out while doing 60 MPH on the interstate. The gash in the sidewall was over 6" long. I couldn't even tell anything was wrong, I just heard it go and pulled over to see what's up. As far as handling, I couldn't tell anything was wrong.

I was unloaded, if I had a heavy load it might have handled differently.

As for A0 vs A1 vs A2, I have owned both A0 and A2. One remarkable advantage of the A2 is fuel economy. I got 9.5 MPG on the A2 running flat out against the governor down the freeway. It is much quieter too, didn't have to wear earplugs.

emr

I have had truck tires blow in front, but never a mil super single, i will now talk from what I have heard from the unit here, not my personal experience, They experienced severe side wall failure in theater with all the super single tires when loaded, and they did mention allot of over loading, They ran the 939 series over loaded allot they said because the trucks handled it so well, But they learned fast not to run low air in the trucks with super singles, that was the problem they said, aired up they were much much better they said, except for the fast wear on the singles, The older guys always grabbed trucks with duels when possible for the wear reason they said, Also many state side units I know for a fact had changed the cargos that ran a ton of miles on road to the g 177s , The g177s also were the tire that replaced the NDTccs, So they were in the system, I agree with beerslayer on how a front blowout would be, he says he really had no major issues, i dont see how it could be unless running over a safe speed, would be my guess on it being a problem, I believe the tire failure we hear of here is from tires that sat empty or low for long periods, we just dont know about, or just run to low for a long time, to break down the side walls, these tires in service never had any bulletins about failure, If it is a real problem with the tire by now it would have been out, they served a long time, still are, ...Both motors are awesome to me, I would love either, i am very very happy to have a 250 , A couple of guys in the unit here have driven mine and said she is a strong runner when they started off, but they have allot of A2s, Bkuku has the experience to back up my thoughts, maybe the 250 is off the line a puller .... :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I love the 8.3 Cummins and the super singles on my M927.

My truck will run 65 at 2100 RPM but chugs along nicely at 1800 running around 55 MPH.

The 250 Cummins is a lot louder and I have to use hearing protection when I drive a 900 series with it in there.

I've never tried to use the CTIS but I have disconnected one wheel due to a leak I couldn't fix. Parts to the system are brittle and hard to get.

chess

Does the 8.3 in the a2 have a turbo on it?
yessir it does an hx40 from holset. they went with a smaller turbo motor vs a large natrually aspirated motor. great improvement

the dual tires look at a rock and they blow up yes you can run with one blown out but that tire will soon blow out. the 14.20s do better and the 16.20 xzls are unbeatable. i had blow outs on 14.20s both michelins and good years run with them dead flat and they rip and fall apart. the xzls can run for a while with no air. all depends on you and what you use your truck for we all have our opinions no ones right or wrong. me i use my trucks as water trucks my 5 tons are for 5 ton loads of course but i load them with more than 16 tons of water. with xzls for those people who are going to say there too big for these trucks i dont have a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks