• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

proud new owner 2010 MEP 803A

SGT_Spring

Oh Boy! My wife "accidentally" won a bid for a 2010 Fermont MEP 803A! It only had 29 hours on it! It was an Airforce gen set, so you know it never saw a deployment! :) It even still had the little knobbies on the tread surface of the tires! I'll post some photos where you will see it really WAS brand new...

We recovered it from Warner Robins AFG near Macon, GA. I live in Kansas City... so it was a haul! SS was endlessly helpful! I spent hours reading everything here to figure things out before we rolled.

generator - 10.jpg

We bought a Pintle hitch with a high plate, because even my F250 FX4 truck was too short for the hitch height. The Military specs for hitch height were impossible to find, because they built the trailer to be towed by several different height receivers. So, for the record, The lintel ring on my M116 Chassis trailer (M101 chassis) is 25 inches high when level. :)

generator - 2.jpg generator - 8.jpg

We also came prepared (thanks to SS) with magnetic towing lights. There is only the small tie down tubing that is steel and sticks out past the decking, so we stuck the lights there and Zip tied them to the lift shackles.

generator - 4.jpggenerator - 6.jpg

Getting her Home was no problem, but again, the SS forums where invaluable! After bouncing all the way to the Hotel, I read up on how the 17 psi pressure was the "off road" pressure, so I shot off to the closest gas station to throw 30 PSI in each tire and BINGO! Smooth going all the way home!

I did extensive PMCS thanks to the manuals I got off of SS, and bought replacement filters (all from another post on SS) fully expecting to swap everything out... But when I went to check the oil, it was clear and golden brown!! so, they either just did maintenance, or it really had just been sitting in the motor pool for 5 years and 29 hours.

I had to throw in new batteries as the Military needed the old ones. I did not go with the high priced Optivs, but got the generic ones that still fit in the battery retention system. I was nervous as all get out when I turned the switch, but it fired up without any hesitation and ran strong! I plugged in a heater to the convenience receptacle to make sure there was spark and was very happy to see juice was flowing!

Today, I tried to put a load to it through the Lugs. Thanks to all of you on SS, I felt like I had been using my gen set for years! I sauntered out, switched the selectors and monitoring levers to 120v/1PH, hooked up the receptacle cord I made to the proper L3/L0 lugs, turned her over, flipped the switch and started adding load!... then some more load... and some more load... then I couldn't find anything else in the house that might add to it... I had 2 space heaters, 2 flat irons, 1 hair dryer, and a set of halogen lights... but I was only at 25-30%!! I will have to spend some time getting a cool load bank set up (or just rent one). I can see just a little drip on the muffler joint after tonight, so I know I need to really get her cooking to blow off years of "maintenance running"

generator - 1 (1).jpg

I will be moving her to a place in the back where she will run as a back up generator for my house. I will leave her on the trailer as I also want her set up to roll to a remote site. I have plans to wire up the gauge lights (thanks SS!), Change out the intra-vehicular cable, and switch to 12v LED bulbs. I will keep things updated with pics as I wire her in and get her set up!

Haoleb

Looks like you got yourself a nice set there! You could easily make your own load bank for not a ton of money and it is handy to keep around to give it a good workout every now and then.

And not to sound like an ass, but you are supposed to cross the safety chains on the trailer so they will catch the tongue if it came off the hitch ;)

Kvl00ej

Congrats, I just got mine two weeks ago and they are a beast. Gonna hook mine to house like glockfan did in the spring. Can't wait to put a serious load on it.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great!! I picked up my MEP-803a while evacuating from Hurricane Matthew, and got it serviced and online when we got back home. Like you, I spent a lot of time on this site educating myself before taking the leap. Mine didn't come with the trailer, but I found an M116a3 on Craigslist for $350 so I've got mobile power now. Enjoy it and keep us posted on any issues/mods!!

Triton

Congrats, that was exactly what I did when I picked up my 803, the picks are almost identical. I had a little fuel leaking out of the filler and I had the same bracket bent where someone left the rear leveling stand down and drove off. All my filters and oil had been changed as well. I love my unit almost wishing I had a power outatage!

Triton

Speaking of woman, I was out on a deployment when we had a hurricane power outage at home, I don't know who that other woman on the phone was without power but it wasn't good. My 803 should solve that problem.

JRM

nice generator! like you I mistakenly won mine by my manager hitting bid now as I had 6 computers at work refreshing the auctions that were only 5 minutes apart. When I told him how far away it was he looked at me all freaked out and said, dude we are union- I cant give you a extra day off due to favoritism! So I left at 6pm, grabbed a gallon of drinking water threw supplies and a flipped pintle in my truck and hit the road and drove the 1,100 miles down to Yarmo ca before the closed at 5 on Saturday, darn 24 gallon tank on short bed trucks sucks! Stopping ever few hundred miles is the worst but I arrived at 440pm and the IP yard dude was great! My adventure was crazy but again- SS played a key role in knowing what to bring! I pulled my 803 threw 1 sand storm between yarmro and Bakersfield, somehow my mag lights didn't blow off! One crazy rain storm with a foot of water on I5 flooding threw Shasta lake- hitting ponds at 50 with so much water shooting over the truck that it collapsed my tano cover on the bed (thank goodness for new tires), then over 10" of snow over the pass on the Oregon boarder with the state police not wanting to let me threw due to no chains for the trailer, I talked him into letting me go after I told him the truck was equipped with the most advanced traction control system ever....me! 2 days and 2200 miles later I returned home and slowly removed the red bull out of my bloodstream!
IMG_20160311_164240.jpgIMG_0062.jpg

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Nice score.
At 29 hours, the unit is not even broken in. You have a PU-798A (MEP-803A on a LTT-TQG high mobility) The trailer is the same as a M1102 heavy, except with panels to place the generator. Since it is a 2010 trailer, all the marker lights are LED and will work fine with 12 volt civi power. The only bulbs which I replaced was the ones in the buckets. I went with 12v LED's for those.
It was after 2006 when they were changed to using the LED lights. My trailer was delivered 10/06 and has all incandescent.

This is my trailer;
All the bulbs are standard incandescent. So swap out the bulbs for the 12v counterparts for a brighter safer day.
PU-798A Unit = Mep-803a with a M1102 trailer
Rear brake, turn light bulbs #1683 24v bulbs swapped to #1156 12v bulbs
Marker lights all round #1251 24v bulbs swapped to #97 12v bulbs
Trailer plug =cut off mil end, cheap 7-way plug attached.

Guyfang

Staff member
JRM,

I like your style! Its a shame I don't live near you. WE could make music. We could con DAYBREAK to throw in with us, what a team! Go into the gen resale biz!!