• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proud owner of M1028

dam88

Well I went and found a low mileage (23,000 - 24K now that I drove it home) M1028. I drove right at 55-57mph and man did that thing roar - got 15.5mpg.

Couple thoughts - if I slow to 54mph she runs quiet (probably gets better mileage too) but if I speed up to 60 she goes quiet again. Now I've read that you don't want to run over 55 because of the gearing, but why would it run quieter at 60 than 55?

She rode smooth over a 1000 miles with only one problem . . 1. . 2. . 3 - glow plugs.

I was told by the seller (thanks Chris) to wait 'til the light goes out and listen for a click then start the truck - okay no problem. If you turn it off and walk into the store and walk out - no problem. If you wait until you eat a sandwich and come back out - no start. After the engine cools then w/o the light, turn the key on and listen for "the click" - starts.

I'm not going to convert to a civy system but I will replace the glow plugs as a maintenance concern.I've read the sticky and agree with a couple of folks that a properly maintained mil version should be fine.

So here's the question - is this the controller card clicking and is it bad? (I don't see it listed for sale on FLMV.com) Where do I find the diagnostic walk through to solve my GP prob?

Oh - and thanks to everyone on the board for helping me by answering questions and pointing me in the right direction - I've found a boatload of great folks and even reconnected with a friend from high school with a M109.

Thanks again.

David

1984 M1028 24K miles, new OD CARC - 1985 title and 1986 insurance card :D
4 HMMWV 8-bolt wheels and magnesium runflats w/ 36"tires
4 HMMWV 12-bolt wheels and magnesium runflats (no tires) :(

ida34

Download all the cucv manuals in the resource technical manuals section. Then read them over and I think it is the -20 manual that has the trouble shooting flow chart for the glow plugs. The controller should not click. That should be the solenoid. The controller is under the dash near the steering column.

CCATLETT1984

there is a glow plug inhibit switch on the back of the drivers head, it tells the controller when the engine is hot enough not to need teh glow plugs to start. This sensor is the same as the civilian part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks