• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO for a NP205, need info

rockspider

I have a M1008/1028 kind of truck (basically on paper it states M1008 but have an NP205 and the front 60 has a stock Trac-lok, so?)

I'd like to install a PTO on the 205, and use it to drive a hydro pump (to drive front and rear hydro winches)
Did usually 1028 come with a pto? Are those suitable to drive a pump and if so where could I find one?
Anybody knows exactly what model should I look for? I suppose the maker of them is Parker-Chelsea but their website ain't very easy to understand...

Thanks in advance

Alessandro

rockspider

Still nothing?

Would it be possible for some of you owners of M1031 to check for me the make and model of the PTO you have? There should be a pretty identifiable metal tag riveted to them.
Thanks in advance.

Alessandro from Italy

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not think the np205 ever had a pto. the one I have in my shed I just looked at and I can't figure out how it would work with one.

rockspider

The M1031 (and also some M1028 if I understood right) have an NP205 with a PTO installed from factory.
It should be a regular SAE 6 bolts PTO that bolts on the driver side of the case. Look at the NP205 and you will find a 6 bolts plate bolted on the driver side. That's where it bolts.
But there are a number of PTO produced, with so many variations for the gears inside, so I was hoping that someone who has it could help...

1956_4x4

rockspider said:
I have a M1008/1028 kind of truck (basically on paper it states M1008 but have an NP205 and the front 60 has a stock Trac-lok, so?)

I'd like to install a PTO on the 205, and use it to drive a hydro pump (to drive front and rear hydro winches)
Did usually 1028 come with a pto? Are those suitable to drive a pump and if so where could I find one?
Anybody knows exactly what model should I look for? I suppose the maker of them is Parker-Chelsea but their website ain't very easy to understand...

Thanks in advance

Alessandro

My 205 has a "Muncie" PTO. I'll try to get info for you today.

Smitty

1956_4x4

OK I couldn't find anything except for casting numbers on the PTO. However, the instructions for the PTO list it as 52MK1005. I believe this number is for the entire PTO kit (just guessing...) Here's the company info:

Muncie Power Products, inc.
General Offices and Distribution Center
P.O. Box 548
Muncie, IN 47308-0548
Phone (317)284-7721
FAX (317)284-6991

Keep in mind that the above information is from the documentation that came with my vehicle. This documentation is now 20 years old, so it may not be any good. Sorry I couldn't help further.

Smitty

1031 - Work in progress

1956 Chevy 3100 4x4, 383 stroker, TH400, 203/205 doubler, 14 bolt rear (w/Detroit), D44 front (Still open), disc brakes on all four, 35" BFG's

Located in Crestview, FL

Taz

I took a look at my spare PTO for you last night. The part number on the tag is : TG6S-N7018-C2BT. It is made by Muncie as previously stated. This number should get you closer to coming up with what you need. Keep in mind that the output points towards the rear. I think you shoulkd be able to get a PTO that has a hydraulic pump attached to it. Try

http://www.munciepower.com/main/PTO.htm

Good Luck!
Taz

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Alessandro,

I see that you have a Gearvendors Overdrive. Can you tell us about it? How do you like it, did you install it. Are you able to drive 65 - 70 without winding-out the engine? I'm in the process of buying an M1028A1 and am looking at overdrives.

Thanks,

rockspider

Thanks Taz and 1956_4x4 for the infos, even if those are 20 years old numbers, at least I have now something to start from!

A question, has that pto a reversible rotation direction or is it fixed? A friend of mine pointed out that if it's fixed, I'll not be able to use it for dual winches front and rear, cause it would not work in reverse. Any thoughts?

About the GearVendors, I had the luck to find one in a scrapyard for less than cheap: the guy said it would not work anymore, so I told him -Hey then just let me play dismantling it, I never seen one inside.- Turned out it was in perfect shape inside, just the solenoid had oxidated connectors!
However it was installed on a Ford, so the adapter and sleeve were wrong for me.
GearVendors Factory asks today more than 800 bucks for a Chevy adapter kit, but a machining shop here made me one from billet 6061alu for $250. Having to make it from scratch, it came out actually shorter than the factory one, and I was able to use a 32spline sleeve (don't know where it came from) and the same size oil seal of the NP205.
It has no computer, the solenoids wires are connected to a pedal dim-light switch (Jeep CJ I think) for absolute manual operation.
The unit I found has provision for a tail support also, so have built a custom tubular crossmember for it, I should have some pics of the combo somewhere, I'll look if I found any in the next days.

It needs a while to get used to it, you can shift it in at almost any speed, in any gear, as soon as you are moving faster than 10mph (it needs to build up oil pressure inside to work) but it likes to be shifted out of gear always with a bit of throttle on, then you feel like softly releasing the clutch on a manual after downshifting. If you switch it off without throttle or in any engine brake condition, there's a LOUD bang from all the mechanical slack of the whole drivetrain, nothing really dangerous for the drivetrain itself, but annoying.

Speed-wise, it was a great upgrade. With the stock 4.56 gears and 35" BFG A/T it drives easily 65-70 mph without screaming (still higher revving than a civvy, but liveable), and top speed should be somewhere around 85 mph (stock speedo is out of whack, but often seen 83-84 on the gps when passing and still it could gain some more revs)

Feel free to ask more if you need, or do you think I should make a new thread about it?

1956_4x4

My PTO is the fixed rotation type. You could use the winch to run a hydraulic pump, then you could run multiple hydraulic winches. Just a thought.

Smitty