• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO gasket

tcm7796

Just joined the site, I've been coming on here for quite awhile now as a guest. This is really an excellent site.

I am about to put a transmission mounted PTO on my deuce and I am wondering if anyone can provide the NAPA part number for the pto to trnsmission gasket. I have done a search and was unable to turn anything up.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. I struk out with NAPA when looking for them. It's a standard 6 bolt SAE pattern so anyplace that does truck bodies and the like should have them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is not just one gasket number for this. The gasket is a standard pattern but they come in multiple thicknesses(this is how you set the gear lash). Try a Fleet Pride shop near buffalo(they will have what you need).
TONAWANDA
140 FIRE TOWER DRIVE
Welcome too

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will also have steel shim plates up to 125" thickness. Be sure to set it up loose enough, better off loose than too tight.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread resurrection: Installed a winch unit on my bobber. Had difficulty getting trans out of 1st gear. Did not give a thought to having to space the pto from the transmission. Used a standard NAPA gasket which is very thin. Looked at my other deuce with pto and noticed a gasket about 1/8" thick.
Therefore before I do any further driving I will drain, and replace the gasket using a thicker gasket or even perhaps a spacer plate? This may be addressed in my manual, but have not researched.
I do appreciate this site.
Just an aside: I purchased a transmission from DRMO several years ago. In the photos the trans appeared to be new. Upon retrieval the trans was a take out. Apparently someone either did not clearance the pto or the operator was brutal and trashed the pto leaving scarring on the inside of the case. The transmission is fine other wise. Note bad for $75.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread resurrection: Installed a winch unit on my bobber. Had difficulty getting trans out of 1st gear. Did not give a thought to having to space the pto from the transmission. Used a standard NAPA gasket which is very thin. Looked at my other deuce with pto and noticed a gasket about 1/8" thick.
Therefore before I do any further driving I will drain, and replace the gasket using a thicker gasket or even perhaps a spacer plate? This may be addressed in my manual, but have not researched.
I do appreciate this site.
Just an aside: I purchased a transmission from DRMO several years ago. In the photos the trans appeared to be new. Upon retrieval the trans was a take out. Apparently someone either did not clearance the pto or the operator was brutal and trashed the pto leaving scarring on the inside of the case. The transmission is fine other wise. Note bad for $75.
Getting the correct clearance is critical. You can damage the transmission and/or PTO if not set correctly. If I remember correctly, I used six standard gaskets to get the correct clearance. It's different with each transmission/PTO combination. Difficulty in shifting the transmission is one of the primary symptoms of setting the lash too close. Any big truck shop should have the gaskets in different thicknesses. If you decide to use gasket sealant (I didn't) make sure you don't use it until you mount the PTO and check the lash to know how many gaskets you will need as once you put the sealant on, it is difficult to remove without damaging the gaskets and very messy. If you need new PTO seals and/or rubber boots, this is the time to replace them.

Hasbeen

the Chelsea / Dana part numbers are 35p9-1 (.010 thickness)
35p9-2 (.020) 35p9-3 (.030)
the roughly compress about half value when torqued down.
backlash should be around .010
those old "spur" gears are already a little noisy...so a few thousanths loose
is better than a a few to snug.

hope this helps

Hasbeen

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the Chelsea / Dana part numbers are 35p9-1 (.010 thickness)
35p9-2 (.020) 35p9-3 (.030)
the roughly compress about half value when torqued down.
backlash should be around .010
those old "spur" gears are already a little noisy...so a few thousanths loose
is better than a a few to snug.

hope this helps

Hasbeen
Old spur gears??? Old - maybe; spur - not really for the two in question; those are 29º helix.
Anyways, agreed on BL= .010" or little over.

G.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Called Inland Truck yesterday and ordered 4 gaskets and 2 spacers since I have another deuce to convert to a winch unit. Both of my pto{s} are either new or rebuilt. Upon receipt of the parts I will list the part #s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks