• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO GENERATOR for any use

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just asked about the PTO generator idea, The PTO can run a generator at a low 540 RPM so your truck/tractor/deuce can idle and give you 10-12-15Kwh worth of power to feed the house or what ever is required, problem in a bug out situation is FUEL. I feel for the money this is the best on the market, about 1/4 the cost of a diesel generator bought at a discount at the store.
GL is a different story if your going to go that route, I was just asked about the PTO.

Remember the 4 main storage items FOOD, WATER, SHELTER/HEAT and FUEL.

What good is a PTO generator if you do not have the fuel to run the truck........?

MR12PTO 12 kW PTO Tractor/Truck-Driven PTO Generator-540 RPM - $959

Brushless generator with over sized, high efficient gearbox. High motor starting capacity.

Maximum Surge Rated ContinousVoltageAmps @ 120VAmps @ 240VFrequencyInput RPM Required HP1250012000120/2401005060540 RPM20

This generator does not have receptacles. It has output lugs and is designed to be hardwired to a panel box, easy to do.

Call 888-899-0603 or e-mail sales@generatorsales.com

http://www.generatorsales.com/used/pto_large.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Central Maine Diesel[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]1594-D Outer Hammond St.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Bangor, ME 04401[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Toll-Free: 1-888-899-0603[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Phone: 1-207-941-1188[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Fax: 1-207-941-1189[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]E-Mail: sales@generatorsales.com [/FONT]

I feel this is a must for anyone in need of ready made power, Just need the fuel.This is not an advertisement to sell these. Just good information for all to use.

Attachments

Last edited:

R Racing

I guess a question or concern is what is the trans output for the PTO . I don't believe its a 1:1 if its a 4:1 you would need your engine to run at 2160 RPM to get the 60 cycles out of the gen.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess a question or concern is what is the trans output for the PTO . I don't believe its a 1:1 if its a 4:1 you would need your engine to run at 2160 RPM to get the 60 cycles out of the gen.
What does your truck idle at...? My tractor idles @ 600RPM and thats fine if your over by 100 RPM,I would think the truck would be the same,5-600rpm.

I would set it at 650-700 RPM for idle if you go too much lower then that the engine won't have sufficient oil pressure and the load up a little more with soot and carbon.

To adjust the idle, on the driver side of the injection pump there is a flat blade screw with a spring on the throttle shaft assembly, turn cockwise to incease and visa-versa.

Last edited:

R Racing

Its not and neither is most tractors. My tractor ( small 1 is a JD 4320 ) has to run at 2500 RPM for the PTO to run 540. My bigger tractor ( JD1440 ) runs 2100 to make 540 RPM at the pto. Its not a 1:1 ratio with the engine. can't tell you what the deuce or 5 ton ratio is I don't know.But I would bet its not a 1:1

ProviderDriver

Curious of that myself... The Genset that my friend makes is 4000 watts, and needs 7.5 GPM @ 1800psi hydro pressure...I was going to install a hydraulic pump on the PTO to run it...Figured I could run Hydro chainsaw, extrication tools, winches etc...

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea. But we need to know the ratio output of the PTO of the truck to see if its even worth the effort if that makes sence?

Jack mentioned to me a PTO gear reducer. Im just throwing it out there for discussion.I may be wrong on the kabota rpm but thats what the gauge says.

R Racing

Look at your Tach on your kabota there is band that say 540 PTO it will be were the tach is in the 2000 + rpm range of the engine. Unless you have a 1000 RPM pto which then it would be in the 1100 to 1200 range. Most PTo's are 540 but some earlier tractors have both.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at your Tach on your kabota there is band that say 540 PTO it will be were the tach is in the 2000 + rpm range of the engine. Unless you have a 1000 RPM PTO which then it would be in the 1100 to 1200 range. Most PTo's are 540 but some earlier tractors have both.
Ok I will ,thanks for the help, I will look at it when I get home.

BTW my brother has a smaller PTO generator 10Kwh same brand and he was bragging about the fuel economy. The Military maintenance truck M1031 have the generator, air compressor built in the back, what RPM does theirs run at...? Thats what I want to know and the hook up as well.

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
being a former Kubota certified mechanic, and owner...... be careful some tractors had a duel speed output the comon 540 job, and when the lever was thrown in the other direction 700+ RPM... I dont know what the duece trands ratio is,,,, I would ask a knowledgable guy that has a winch,,,,,,and then again:?: there is the rear T case mounted PTO,,,could work....but be CAREFUL:sad:

deuceaid

Banned
oh, buy the way, youll still eat alot of fuel ... Do You NEED 10 KW????? Try finding out what you can live on..... a small honda genset 2 kw that is modified to run on natural gas ( if you have NG) can keep things running....but not a whole house AC system..... just a thought......**** I have even run my clothes drirer on the thing,,, but I had to tape over the door saftey switch and give the drum a push start( didnt get my arm ripped off)....still alive and voiding warranties:D

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i thought it would be neat to get a non winch deuce like my M109 (which someday might be a bobber) and get a transmission PTO and run the shaft from that to a PTO that can mount on the bumper..... i'd have to look at the specs for the PTO... it is able to supply 13 horsepower at 500RPM and 27 HP at 1000RPM.... but who knows what engine RPM that is at.... maybe somebody else can chime in on that....

Chief_919

Several issues-

Your duece engine won't like running like that, and will wet stack.

You don't have a governer, so setting every time the load changes your RPM will change. Only way it won't is if you are making way, way more power than needed to drive the genset- then you are back to badly wet stacking the engine.

To run at 540 RPM that generator has a 3.33:1 gear set or chain drive to run the generator itself at 1800rpm to make 60hz power. If you run it at 600rpm that means the generator head is turning at 2000 RPM- you will have close to 70hz. not good.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i never had my deuce wet stack. i know cranetruck runs a crane a lot with his but im not sure what RPM he has his set at. i know idling at 1000 RPM isnt bad for them.... thats what RPM they say to run the engine at when using the winch. M49A2, M50A2 and M764A2 trucks may be a different RPM when operating their pumps and diggers... not sure. seems like they should be ok to run at 1000-1500ish RPM for a while.

Bill W

I think PTO's ratios are better explained by percentage
When I bought the pto's to run my pumps on my fuel trucks the guy at the driveline shop asked what percentage pto did I want, I ordered a 85% output pto which is geared to turn at 85% of the engine speed to which if my tach indicates 1000rpm than my pto is turning 850rpm. I don't know what the pto percentage is on the winch pto on the deuce is rated but I'll bet it is somewhere around 35-40% output of the engine.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i never had my deuce wet stack. i know cranetruck runs a crane a lot with his but im not sure what RPM he has his set at. i know idling at 1000 RPM isnt bad for them.... thats what RPM they say to run the engine at when using the winch. M49A2, M50A2 and M764A2 trucks may be a different RPM when operating their pumps and diggers... not sure. seems like they should be ok to run at 1000-1500ish RPM for a while.
1,200 to 1,500 rpm when running the HIAB and no problems with wetstacking.

Keeping the rpm at idle (700-850 rpm) for long periods of time is not so good in my experience. Causes sluggish performance and lots of smoke until deposits are burned off when you start driving it normally after long, say 2-4 hours of idle.

The 8x8, also multifuel, has a 3KW/28VDC generator, which I use for charging my NiCd cells. For this, the engine runs at 1,100-1,200 rpm an hour at a time with no problems. Fuel consumption is about 1.6 GPH.

If the engine does not reach operating temp, water from condensation will not boil off and there will eventually be problems related to water and acid formation in the crankcase (oil)...

Attachments

Last edited:

Bill W

Ok
So if I understand this right then for a 3053A the front ( winch side ) shaft turns at 65% in low gear and 146% in high ( I forgot about it being a 2 speed pto!:oops: )
I wonder what the HP rating is for high though either way it look like it turns to fast to run a standard ( store bought ) pto driven generator ( ie Winco or Northern tool ) being I would not let the LDT idle less then 1000 rpm for long periods of time

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok
So for a 3053A the front ( winch side ) shaft turns at 65% in low gear and 146% in high ( I forgot about it being a 2 speed pto!:oops: )
I wonder what the HP rating is for high

The TM says 27 HP for high. seems like low range on the PTO would work fine for a generator, just step the RPMS up a little bit and you'd be fine. as for fuel consumption, like cranetruck says, about 1.6GPH. This is all very intresting. sure does get the wheels turning in my head!