• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO handle stuck?

irontoys

Hello,
I have M35A2 w/winch. I tried to engage the PTO handle but it appears to be frozen solid. I did have the little sheet metal indexing cover open to free the handle. I wanted to check with the group before I put alot of force on the handle. Did not know if it was common for a deuce that has been sitting. I read the manual, but didn't discover any magical interlock that should prevent it from shifting. Should I tear the PTO down and inspect, or just give a stronger pull on the lever?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
pull the linkage off the pto, see if the handle then moves, if not you can see ware its hanging up

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
pull the linkage off the pto, see if the handle then moves, if not you can see ware its hanging up
:ditto:

That lever attaches to a shaft that protrudes from the font and rear of the pto.
I think I would gently tap the shaft with a hammer front and rear to see if it moves.

BTW, under what conditions have you tried shifting the pto? (engine running? clutch position, etc.)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very likely the PTO shift shaft itself got stuck from rust or crud accumulated in the bottom of the case.
Rock it back and forth but don't force to much! Also, for inspection and cleaning you could open the cap (3/4" socket), which holds the spring and poppet ball. (Pic).

Be prepared to catch both parts and whatever materia comes out...! Best to do this after draining tranny for oil change, of course.
W/o those parts in place shift shaft should be able to move freely by hand!

G.

Attachments