• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU-650B/G Restoration (MEP-006A)

wsucougarx

After repainting my M109A3 and M35A2, I've had an itch to repaint my PU-650B/G (AKA MEP-006A on a M200A1). I wanted to repaint her with what she currently wears now, MERDC. However, I thought maybe painting her with plain 383 Green would look better. Last night I scraped, sanded, chiseled, and primed some much needed spots. Today, the weather was outstanding so I shot some Behr 383 CARC substitute on her. Well, the 1/2 gallon I had left from my '68 M35A2 wasn't quite enough to do the job. I managed to get most the generator done but didn't have enough to touch the M200A1 trailer. Looks like another Home Depot trip is in my future.
Still left to do is repainting the inside, painting the trailer itself, and make up my own stencils for the outside. Better get some more card stock and a new hobby knife blade:roll:.
Thus far I have completed drained out all the "old" diesel in the system. The tank was full when I recovered her. I have been burning this old diesel through my 2001 Dodge Cummins. No power loss noted. Actually it felt like she had more zip to her. I also replaced all the fuel filters and dry started her. Luckily everything seem to move and she wanted to start. Whew! No seized up engine. I plan on just running her off of jerry cans for right now. I can't find any reason to fill up her 55 gallon tank if I don't plan to really use her. This will keep the condensation to a very minimum.
The recovery thread can be found here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/63696-jlbm-mep-006a-pu-650b-g-recovery-trip.html
So now, I have the M109A3 Camper project, the '68 M35A2 project, the Expedition Trailer project, the '88 M35A2C project, and now I have this added to the lot....good grief Charlie Brown. I love it[thumbzup]
More updates coming soon;-)

Attachments

wsucougarx

You pay for the fuel and you can listen all you want...LOL. These things make me really nervous when they start up. It doesn't seem right to have the RPM's jump up so far so fast. It would be just like jumping in your deuce, hitting the start button, and throwing her close to 2000 RPM's without a warm up. I know there's a purpose to the high RPMS up on starting but none the less it makes me cringe

Last edited:

jbk

looks good. iam just about ready to begin prep for paint on a 003. ive used a color match i got from my 53 willys pe-95 gen. to paint all mine well not me my wife is the painter but i help with the prep. ive always started my sets at rated speed including my 004 and often wondered if everyone does the same. the neighbors should love you.

wsucougarx

Painting is now complete. Wasn't going to touch it on my couple days off, but the 77 degree weather was all too tempting. Made a quick trip to Home Depot for my Behr 383 Green CARC Substitute. Had her painted in about 2 hours. The pics you see below are with a 4:00 PM sun beating down on her with NO cloud cover. As you can see, this paint is textured well and flat enough not to give off any shine whatsoever. Now I need to get some stencils made up for her (home made as always). Hmm, not sure if I want to do the yellow stencils (like jbk's avatar), go with gloss white, or go with flat black.
In all it took 1 gallon of paint to do the generator and the M200A1 trailer. I did NOT reduce the paint as I wanted the texture to be like that of CARC...mission accomplished! I am not going to do the 3 color camo on this one. There's something about the plain 383 Green that looks good...at least to me it does:p
Next up is:
Putting dataplates back on
Painting on the stencils

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did NOT reduce the paint as I wanted the texture to be like that of CARC...
Does this mean that you just shot straight paint with no paint thinner or xylene or anything?

Any issues with the spray gun in doing so?

This definitely has me intrigued - While I don't think the Gillespie paint is too bad, I do agree that it is a bit shiny...

wsucougarx

That's correct. I shot the paint straight using an airless Wagner power sprayer I got from Home Depot. I painted my M109A3, M35A2, and now the genny. It has worked flawlessly.

jbk

turned out good. i have the wagner also, painted a few of mine with. i painted the 004 with a compressor and cup gun. i used automotive paint. i put some more decals on the 004 you can see in my photo album, they cost me $20.00 a set at a local sign co..

wsucougarx

Thanks, your pics are outstanding. Those decals are right on! I'm about half way done cutting my stencils. There's got to be an easier way..haha. Labor of love:D

jbk

i took pictures of the decals measured the surface. the guy put them in the computer and could inlarge or reduce the size as i wanted.

wsucougarx

NAPA replacement belts numbers

If you need to ever replace the belts here are the NAPA Premium numbers:
25-13380/22525 (need two)
25-12205/9480 (need one)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you need a few jerry cans to mount on the genset to make it complete! Other than that, great work!

Nothing like getting even the ancillary equipment back up to mil-spec, ready for duty!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks