• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU-797 recovery

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Folks. Hopefully someone here can help me out. Just grabbed a PU-797 and the auction stated that I was missing a handle for the landing gear/tongue jack. I have never bought a unit on a trailer before, so can anyone tell me exactly whats missing here? Will I be able to stow this jack out of the way for travel without it? What can I use in replacement since its gone? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
2.jpg
1.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yes you can stow it out of the way without the handle, it's just like the older trailer legs that just fold up and don't crank. The crank handle stores on the leg and is not permanently attached so they are missing very often.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know Dr., thanks! Bingo'd the boys in the genset forum too on this, as both sides could have good information on this.

For those familiar with the M116A3, what should I be looking for in terms of potential safety issues before I hit the highway on my return run? I assume the basics like lugs, tire pressure, generator bolted down securely, see if the hubs run cool (not sure what I would do if they DIDNT... but we can cross that bridge when we get there), check pintle ring area for anything awry, etc.

Thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and I am recovering this with a newer F350. Anyone know if the safety chains are of sufficient length to reach a standard hitch, or do I need to bring extensions to do this?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
You'll need safety chain extensions, they'll be real tight if they even reach. Just give it a good inspection before you take off. Stop a ways down the road and put your hand near/on the hubs to make sure they're cool. The only time I've had a military trailer hub run hot is when someone overtightened the bearing nut (and that was one trailer out quite a few I've owned and towed). If the trailer slams back and forth when you brake then the shock absorber in the hitch is worn out. You can bring a pin to lock it out but make sure it's a rated pin otherwise it will bend and be a mess to remove. There's a very good chance it'll be all set and in good shape. You'll barely know it's back there.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Trailer recovery checklist.
All paperwork printed and ready.
Height correct pintle receiver.
extra lengths of chain/ and or links
magnetic tow brake/tail/turn lights
zip ties
duct tape
zip ties
zip ties. :)

Hooked up and ready for the road... ensure the hand brakes are fully off. Check the lights, brake lights, turn signals
check the tires, if they are run flats (17 psi painted above them) then a good towing air pressure is 20 psi
go down the road. Before getting back on the highway, about 2 miles, check out your stuff again. , so place your hand on the axles and hubs. Do this all again after say 10 highway miles. It is easier to correct a tight castle nut early, than to have bearings burned up farther on the trip. The MEP generator sets on trailers follow along nicely.

I only say this because you are driving some distance.

Yes, the Letter-Kenny guys are great to deal with. The site is off base. They make use of a large surplus loader, and bring your unit out and set it right down where you want it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take all the unknowns out and rent a uhaul trailer and trailer it back home.
Then you can go through it at your leisure.
Especially for a long drive back.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Trailer recovery checklist.
All paperwork printed and ready.
Height correct pintle receiver.
extra lengths of chain/ and or links
magnetic tow brake/tail/turn lights
zip ties
duct tape
zip ties
zip ties. :)

Hooked up and ready for the road... ensure the hand brakes are fully off. Check the lights, brake lights, turn signals
check the tires, if they are run flats (17 psi painted above them) then a good towing air pressure is 20 psi
go down the road. Before getting back on the highway, about 2 miles, check out your stuff again. , so place your hand on the axles and hubs. Do this all again after say 10 highway miles. It is easier to correct a tight castle nut early, than to have bearings burned up farther on the trip. The MEP generator sets on trailers follow along nicely.

I only say this because you are driving some distance.

Yes, the Letter-Kenny guys are great to deal with. The site is off base. They make use of a large surplus loader, and bring your unit out and set it right down where you want it.
Do you know the exact size socket the nut takes? Going through my list today to make sure I'm loaded for bear. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks