• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU M149A2 - Brakes - 1/2 Ton - 30 miles

saratoga

Local muni yard pickup of M149A2. Could the air tanks be charged by muni during testing or moving it around?
I have 1/2 ton with long shank and 12v lights to attach. Bringing smaller chains and zip ties, going 30 miles.

Read on here but just want to confirm.
The brakes are not engaged when its sitting there?
So ill just be able to pull up, attach, and pull out?

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, only the parking brake should be engaged with the handles. I did have a problem with a m105 with the same chassis with the brakes locked because of a bad relay valve and air in the tank locking the brakes. Easy fix as there is a small air tank on the bottom. Just open the petcock and let the air out. That will release them. They are air over hydraulic.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Have old 1/2 ton with new brakes. 30 miles on country roads, should I rent a 3/4 Ton?
That trailer I think weighs empty 2900 right under most state limits of 3000 for mandatory brakes on trailer. I think your truck could pull it fine as long as you have a class 3 or better frame hitch. Take it easy and 30 miles on country roads is not a long haul. The trailer will probably be real nose low because of the height difference and the landing jack might not work to lower it to your truck. I have used a farm jack in those cases to lower the trailer onto the hitch with the original landing gear folded. Might also need some quick links to extend and hook up your safety chains as those big hooks normally do not fit most civilian hitches or bumpers.

My son towed a empty m105 from middle of Alabama to New Orleans with his cherokee. Within his weight rating and the trailer was empty and below 3000. He did fine for that 7 hours home.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The state's brake requirement is almost certainly driven by GVWR, and not the actual weight.

That being said, you should be able to pull it easily - look how many times you see insurance auction vehicles pulling each other with towbars.

A healthy dose of caution will go a long way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks