• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU348A/G Diesel Generator 5 KW I just got and have questions on.

AZK9

Since many of the dataplates are a raised inscription type, the simplest paint removers should work, but test in a small area.

Mark, are you looking at this site on a computer or a phone/tablet? You need to be on a 'regular' computer that has the Adobe Acrobat reader installed and linked to the browser you are using to be able to open the links that are in yellow (and you should do them in 'another tab' or window). Then they will download the file and open the Acrobat Reader once they have the manual downloaded.
Thanks for helping with his display problems. I was not sure how to help him on that issue. [thumbzup]

Jeepsinker

Serial #67? A rare piece like that, with such a low serial number, I wouldn't tear it apart.

Someone will be along that can tell exactly what it is and what it was for.

I'm betting there weren't more than 100 or 200 of these made, otherwise I'd have some idea what it is.

Last edited:

AZK9

Here are the pictures I was sent on this machine from Humpy. ...
Thanks for posting those extra pics! They ought to provide more clues and in turn... lead to an ID of the trailer.

Can't wait to see what Humpy discovers on the 2 data plates covered by all that red paint! :-D

Humpy

I had another sentence but apparently it got cut off. There are so many more I am thinking it would not be appreciated if I posted them all. If you will send me a PM with email address I will send you everything I have taken.
Also the tire dates are 1964 both tires w/ equal wear so I am figuring they are original. I was even able to get half way decent pic of inside of fuel tank.

Best I can tell the generator frame is held to the trailer by four bolts. The bottom of the generator frame has skids as are seen on so many military generators thus it looks like it would lift off by disconnecting a wire from starter and from the generator.
It has the most rugged start button I have ever seen ! ! ! ! !

Last edited:

Humpy

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader and about 25 files down loaded on it but it didn't open these. I took about ten more pics this morning, lots of close ups of the engine, dip stick etc. If anyone would like to see them send me a PM and I will send you all I have made. I checked the dates on the tires as well. Both are dtd mid 1964, both have same wear so I am figuring they are both original issue.

AZK9

... I checked the dates on the tires as well. Both are dtd mid 1964, both have same wear so I am figuring they are both original issue.
After searching for clues to the trailer ID last night... I came to the conclusion that it probably had been built in the early to mid 1960's.
Let us know what you discover when you rub off the two data plates under that rear light. :-D

Humpy

Can't get to it tomorrow, funeral to go to. Next day is iffy. I am awaiting word to come pick up a pair of 5200 lb axles I ordered for an equipment trailer I got a couple months back that had electric brakes that were slam worn out. Thusly I pulled a axle, took it to distributor, we measured it and new axles with new springs are inbound.

Note the alternate term for an equipment trailer is a "high speed toy hauler" haha. The bed is 6ft wide and 21 feet long and will have ramps on rear with kick stands and a hand crank winch on the front.

Jeepsinker

Get some aircraft paint remover, dab it onto the painted plates with a small paintbrush, watch the paint bubble up in a minute or two, then wipe it off and spray it off with a water hose. That will leave the plates clean and free of paint, but won't hurt the original colorant of the plates.

Jeepsinker

What is important is that you realize that this generator "set" as it is referred to, since it is a special unit, includes the trailer. Once separated/ modified, it is never the same. It needs to stay together, but far be it from me to tell you what to do with your unit. It looks to me like it was made for powering light strings in hooches up on firebases and forward operating posts. Small to be air portable, and easy to move with a jeep on the firebase, and diesel so it can handle the constant load for long periods while keeping fuel use down.

I suppose it could be for a field hospital, but I have little knowledge of that.

Jeepsinker

It is just the brand. You can get it at almost any hardware store, or paint supply place. It is a jelly that smells incredibly strongly of ammonia. It will burn your skin if you don't get it off quickly. I advise gloves.

AZK9

Post a link to the photos if you have them uploaded somewhere. We all want to see.
Maybe it would help folks if this thread was merged with one that contains information about the trailer that this generator is mounted on.
There are quite a few pics and other information that has been posted there.

Here is the link to the trailer thread titled, 'Strange military trailer I just got':
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?147299-Strange-military-trailer-I-just-got

Thoughts?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks