• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU798 MEP-803/ M116A3 towing questions

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I just got done towing my Mep-803a home.
Dodge 2500, Tractor Supply 2" receiver tube pintle hitch. No ball style, since I have all those already.

The whole generator and trailer followed nicely. Cruising I-81 doing 70 without issue. Approx 80 mile trip from Letterkenny.

jimbo913

Thanks Mike. My trip is going to be 1200 miles round trip but worth $220 in fuel for what I paid and got:)

Any idea how high the hitch was from the ground on your rig? How many hours on the generator?

jimbo913

It was reset in 2010. Currently 11hrs on remanufactured engine but most I see are like that (reset).

Last edited:

jimbo913

What does reset mean for everything besides the engine? Anyone know the test protocol and how they decide what gets replaced? In regards to the alternator, is there any special test or are those remanufactured as well?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Ratch

2-5/16" will work fine, I've been towing M116's for a few years with a 2-5/16" ball.
If your height is not correct for the trip home, it wont be a difficult tow, just look goofy and be a little underbalanced. I wouldn't expect it to oscillate, somehow these trailers are ultra stable in all sorts of incorrectly loaded positions.
But if you haven't bought the hitch yet, I'd suggest an extended adjustable plate that goes in the truck receiver, and a hitch like you pictured bolted to it. Your height may vary...I've had to adjust mine to tow between my Tahoe or with my work dually..

jimbo913

Just wanted to thank everyone now that I am back home and am a little rested. I estimated high on the diesel and what I bought was only $2.41 - 2.59 a gallon as I made sure to fill up where it was cheapest. Total fuel cost was 149.00

I needed two quick links to get the chains hooked up and the lights had to be zip tied. The trailer towed fine except on concrete roads where it bounced/bucked my 3/4 ton a bit. I averaged 65-70 mph but had it up to 75 with no issues.

My new toy (I mean backup generator), is awesome. It is a 2007 and reset in 2010. It is very low hour, clean and came with reset papers, and all accessories. I am thinking about taking it off the trailer and pouring a pad for it beside the house so I can train the wife on using it when I am away. Anyone know what I can turn the trailer into or know what you can sell them or part them out for?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks