• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU798 (MEP-803a & M116A3) Followed me Home!

Another Ahab

View attachment 654574

I also bolted down some other anchor points for the ratchet straps behind the arms. Since the original tank straps were rusted out I decided to toss them and use some ratchet straps instead. The only time I plan on taking this setup down the road is to fuel up the tank and I feel comfortable with the two straps it will not go anywhere. I also tossed the old rubber that the tank mounted on so instead of buying more rubber I used instead 3 strips of 40# tar paper to pad the tank on the supports.
The strips of 40# roofing felt was a genius idea! [thumbzup]

Haoleb

The strips of 40# roofing felt was a genius idea! [thumbzup]
I wanted something that would not promote moisture against the tank and to pad the tank from the supports. I store the generator indoors but the felt seemed like just the trick and it was already on hand!

I got around to finishing the aux tank today and filled it up. Yesterday I painted everything to match and stenciled the tank and now it almost looks factory I think. I used the rust oleum sand rattle can paint. It does not match perfectly but it is close enough for me. Plus the old paint seems to be faded. The rust oleum certainly does not hold up like the carc does but at least it is easy to touch up.

I definitely cannot lift the front of the trailer anymore but it does still roll around fine and the wheel I put on the front seems to be handling the weight. I have about 45 gallons of fuel in the aux tank plus another 9 in the main tank. I also reached into the main tank and pushed the float down to prime the filter and lines and to see if the aux pump worked and it does! That little pump primed that big filter in no time.. unless it was filled by gravity. I keep the shutoff valve closed just in case.

I also added in a dose of BioBor JF and star tron enzyme treatment to the fuel in the aux tank to prevent any issues with fuel storage.

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

Haoleb

That's a lot of cantilevered weight up front.
Indeed it is. The plate I bolted the tank to seems to have no issues with the weight and I had reinforced the bolts holding it down with new hardware and large washers both sides all grade 8.

The only issue that arose from putting that tank there is that lifting the toungue by hand is now impossible when the tank is full. But the purchase of a 60" hi-lift solved that problem pretty quickly. Heck, It may even be a good thing. Not only would someone need to have a pintle hook on their truck to steal the trailer but they would need a jack to get it onto their hook as well!

Haoleb

Didn't your -798 come with a crank jack for the lunette? Mine has one, but is missing the crank handle.
It did but the handle was gone making it quite difficult to crank. And I chopped most of the jacking mechanism off to add the wheel so now it does not have any height to raise up anymore.

Firebrand

I used a smaller vise-grip pliers to activate my jack once I picked up the unit from the trucker. That's when I noticed the crank handle was not along for the ride. Oh well, I've made much more challenging items in my shop. Just one more thing to add to the Maker's List!