• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulled the transmission today!!!

scooter01922

The nuts are one time use!They have a nylon insert in them.Hit an industrial supply house and get new ones.Might want to go ahead and get new bolts too.Not much more.The nylon hardens over time and lets go.Plus after the first time used the bolt "Threads" the nylon lock so you don't get teh holding power the 2nd use.
NOOOOOOOOOO. DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT use the nylock nuts in this application. You need to use the all metal deformed thread top locks. Either grade C or grade 9 will work. Both are standard stock at any fastenal location. Size is 1/2 -20. They are really only supposed to be used one time so just get new ones. Compared to the damage a loose shaft can cause the cash spent will be miniscule. If you can't find them locally or can't seem to find a fastenal go to www.fastenal.com. Is it obvious i work there????
Here is the grade 9
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=38084&ucst=t

Note, they are even cadmuim plated like the original mil spec stuff.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Scoot, since you work there, is there a bolt with a castle nut that would work? How long will THAT keep you busy?

scooter01922

Hmmm, i don't think there is. At least not a standard stocked item. But that sounds like a great project to waste some time on while i'm at work next week. Biggest issue i'm seeing thus far is the grade of the castle nuts. I can find them in 1/2 -20 no sweat but its grade 2 stuff. I wouldn't trust garde 2 stuff on the driveline of a moped.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my new clutch disk came today, and I got started putting her back together. While I was waiting on UPS to show up, I finished the outside air scoop for the heater install. I was going to put it on facing the rear of the truck like someone suggested, I think it was gimpyrobb, not sure. Anyway, If I would have put it on backwards it would have hit the fender when I opened up the side panel, and the mounting holes were too close to the front lock, so I just installed it facing forward like they usually are. Then after that I took the metal cover off of my poor mans low air pressure idiot light to make it stand out more and look more like the NOS kits.

After the UPS guy came, I was getting started on the clutch when my brother showed up, he was on his way through the area on his way to Kentucky for work, so he stopped in to have me recharge his air conditioner in his car, since he had to replace the compressor last week. After that hour diversion I got back to the task at hand, I installed the pressure plate and clutch. I applied a little blue loc-tite to the bolts for the pressure plate and then torqued them to spec. If you read the things I ran into tearing it apart, you know they were loose....that's not happening again! After I had it installed and torqued down, I hooked up the transmission and started hoisting away. That was a major mother huncher to put back in. The alignment was perfect, but the damn PTO shaft at the top of the tranny was hitting the cross member between the transmission and the transfer case. It was hitting on the way out too, but taking it out is easy. Getting it back in when you can't go forward anymore and you still need to go forward about another 1/2 inch sucks!!! I finally got it past the cross member after fighting it and re-hitching it a few times, it took about 2 hours just to get the transmission back in place. After that everything else was a snap. I adjusted the clutch release arm to as close to 3 1/4 inches from the transmission flange as I could, then put the linkage back on and adjusted the pedal free play. When I put the jack-shaft back in on the transmission and transfer case I also used a little blue loc-tite on those bolts as well. I don't want them coming loose again either. The truck is buttoned back up, but it was getting close to dinner time, so I cleaned up my tools and tomorrow morning, I'll fill the tranny with oil and reinstall the passenger seat.

Before I can start it up, I have some wiring issues to tackle. While I was hooking everything back up, I glanced up at the starter and noticed the wiring harness coming down between the starter and the frame had some bare wires showing. The rubber coating is dry rotted and peeling apart. One of the wires is burned in two because it was touching a copper line in that area, I think it is for the horn, because it worked when I left Wisconsin, but it doesn't now. So I'll fix that as best as I can before I hook up the batteries again, I'll be sure to get some pictures for ya'll.

Then I can report on how everything works after I finish that stuff up.

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to wait till early afternoon before I could go out to work on the truck, as the baby is sick and mommy needed to go to get some medicines for her. Once she got back from the store, I went out and filled the transmission with fresh gear lube...boy it takes a lot! I filled it till I was between one and two knuckles down from the plug. I remember gimpyrobb had troubles on a hard run after fixing his and he was one knuckle down, so I played it safe and went a little more down.

Then I moved on to the wiring issues I found yesterday, It's hard to see in the pictures but the bunch of wires is circled, and the one that is burned in two has the arrow pointing to it. You can see how close they are to the air line going up beside that frame rail (that's even after I pulled them away some). The air line had a little spot in it where the wire arced, but I think it still has enough meat to it to hold up. The wire that was burned in two, as I suspected, went to the horn. Now my horn works again. After I got all of that taped back up and re-routed a little to avoid the frame and air line, I put the passenger seat back in.

Now it's time to fire it up and see how it feels and sounds. First I left the fuel shutoff pulled out as I just wanted to crank it for a second to listen to the motor and flywheel. I wanted to make sure the new bolts I put back in the transmission flange were not too long. Sounded good, pushed in the shut-off rod and fired her up. Everything sounded good, so after the appropriate warm-up time I put it in gear and took it out for a little drive. I went about 2 1/2 miles to get onto pavement, then drove about 4 or 5 miles down to town and back home through town and to the dirt roads again. All together about 10 miles. I didn't hear anything unusual or smell anything out of the ordinary. She pulled like a champ, no slippage in that clutch.

I'm gonna call that a job well done!!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Future trick for you. When installing the tranny, put it in reverese. That will move that little shaft coming out of the tower, out of your way.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shaft out of the tower wasn't the problem...that damned PTO shaft at the top in the rear of the transmission was the bugger to work around...it was hitting the cross member and wouldn't let me hoist it any further until I slid it in more.

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO SH*T!!! I thought that was a PTO shaft. I guess you learn something new every day. NOW WHY THE HE11 DIDN"T YOU TELL ME THAT LAST WEEK...LOL:twisted:

Well, I guess that's one tip I'll never forget. It's the lessons hard learned that stick with you!

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
drgreg, I did know that's where the shifter linkage went into the tranny and yes mine is blanked, but I thought the shaft would've come out somewhere else...Oh well. Live and learn! Had I known what it was though I could've saved myself a few hours and some very choice words being thrown at my truck!!!!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just a little info for everyone. the trans holds 5 qts of oil and must be full up to the bottom of the fill plug. also even tho you say your flywheel was pretty smooth, it and the pressure plate must be very smooth for a new disk of this type to work correctly since there is so little surface area. i ahve seen several new clutches slip because the flywheel was not perfect. i can change a trans in less than 2 hours because i have done it a lot, take the top cover off the trans first, it will help with all kinds of clearance issues, you also can look for problems inside, and also refill easily and quickly. also when taking the trans in or out swing the rear to the right side of the truck on the way up and down for much more room.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks