• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulled the trigger, Mutt is home!

elkhtr

Full fluids and maintenance are definitly on the list.
Pulled the plug on the rear diff, very slowly about a cup and a half of something resembling melted caramel came out.
No material to speak of on the magnets.
Flushed it out with diesel, recharged with gear oil and what do you know, much quieter now.
U joints are all tight, but I will be diving into them soon anyway.

Whiterabbit

Folks run these things through high water and forget those vents will let water into the diffs and transmission. Your right, always do a total fluid change on new to you trucks. I drained some funky stuff out of mine! The trans needs 90wt but make sure it's not GL-5! You need GL-4 or GL-3 so it doesn't eat your syncros.

elkhtr

Folks run these things through high water and forget those vents will let water into the diffs and transmission. Your right, always do a total fluid change on new to you trucks. I drained some funky stuff out of mine! The trans needs 90wt but make sure it's not GL-5! You need GL-4 or GL-3 so it doesn't eat your syncros.
Thanks for the heads up!
I dont believe I have ever heard that designation.
Time to do some research.

Whiterabbit

I find that gear oil at Tractor Supply, I think it's Travelers brand and is for Ford tractors. GL-5 rated oil has some additives that are harmful to brass/bronze syncros and bushings so get any oil rated lower than GL-5. I've found Warren brand in the lower GL ratings too. I just buy alot of it and fill my diffs with it too so I don't have to have all different versions of gear oil laying around.

steelypip

There is an actual specification for gear oil being safe for yellow metal (brass/bronze synchronizers and bushings). Because it has hurt sales of GL5, more and more GL5 gear oils have been reformulated to remove the acids that preferentially eat yellow metal.

Be sure to check the label on the gear oil before you decide it's not appropriate for your vehicle. For example, the Wal-mart Supertech branded semi-synthetic GL5 is indeed yellow-metal compatible.

This is not a recommendation, as I have never run that particular lube in anything, although I have run other Supertech products with good success and might well try the ST stuff the next time I need to get some generic gear oil for something.

nattieleather

Yep old dinosaurs guts will get thick and cause some noise. Did anyone tell you about the bolt on the transmission? There is a fill plug and a bolt for the trans that look the same. Pull the wrong one and the trans breaks. I don't have a M151 any more so I don't remember how to tell the difference. Someone will speak up I'm sure.

Flyingvan911

All of the Mutts in the East Wind fleet have noisy differentials. They have a grinding, whining sound but they are solid. Also check the bushings in the control arms. They can rattle and clank if they are worn. It's usually accompanied by noticeable wandering or shimmying if you play with the steering while driving.

Whiterabbit

Yep, the trans oil fill plug looks like the big drain plugs on the bottom of the trans/xfer. Don't mess with the bolt higher up on the side of the trans above the fill plug. It'll drop parts inside the trans.
The wife and I love our A2 and she's going to make a 4 hr drive to the Ga. SS rally in it. I'll already be there in my truck!

elkhtr

Yep old dinosaurs guts will get thick and cause some noise. Did anyone tell you about the bolt on the transmission? There is a fill plug and a bolt for the trans that look the same. Pull the wrong one and the trans breaks. I don't have a M151 any more so I don't remember how to tell the difference. Someone will speak up I'm sure.
Thanks for the warning, I read about that one in another 151 thread.
Good things to know before you start.

elkhtr

hey elk! Check out the PNW Thread....doing a lunch on sept 28th!
I saw that, but that is a bit of a haul from where i'm at.
My mom does live down by hawks prarie, maybe if I can combine a trip.
I'll have to let it get a little closer and see.
Would love to meet some of you guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks