• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulley squeak

Gunnlogi

The late one has a lip on wheel...early one seems more heavy duty, but without lip....Both should work fine...I may have one or both.
Mine also has a lip, and although the tensioner itself would be fine, the nipple that goes into the hole in the bracket broke off. Is there an auto parts store equivalent or is it just buying NOS?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine also has a lip, and although the tensioner itself would be fine, the nipple that goes into the hole in the bracket broke off. Is there an auto parts store equivalent or is it just buying NOS?
I’m having a hard time finding the oem part and the usual places are out of it. I was hoping someone here would have an over the counter solution. The place here that’s amazing with rebuilding everything is permanently closed and that is sad

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m having a hard time finding the oem part and the usual places are out of it. I was hoping someone here would have an over the counter solution. The place here that’s amazing with rebuilding everything is permanently closed and that is sad
If you want to try non oem, cummins has this part #3802287. I can confirm it fits the 6.5 turbo engine. The pulley does NOT have the lip on this model, but no issues. I got it for around$55 shipped on ebay.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My HMMWV has a squeak too. Hurry up and fix yours so I know what's probably wrong with mine :p
Hahaha. Mine comes and goes and it sounds the same on the right side as it does the left. It gets louder as you rev it up or put a load on it. I don’t care what it is as long as it’s not the generator/alternator. I even got the stethoscope on the pulleys and I can’t locate where it’s coming from. I hate to start throwing parts at it but I’m getting really close. I’m looking at the Cummins tensioner that was suggested and it looks like a fit other than the lips or lack of lips. I mess with it a little bit and then I have to walk away.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to try non oem, cummins has this part #3802287. I can confirm it fits the 6.5 turbo engine. The pulley does NOT have the lip on this model, but no issues. I got it for around$55 shipped on ebay.
I wonder if the N/A 6.5 is the same as the turbo tensioner? I will Probably check the TM and see if part number matches

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts tm shows two different ones. The one I posted earlier, 3802287 ( no lip pulley) and 600637 (lip pulley). The lip pulley when I looked was out of stock most places, which is why I went with the other version. It fits correct and has no issues doing the job. Only difference is no lips on the pulley. I am sure a purist on here will chime in on why the world is gonna end because of this.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hahaha. Mine comes and goes and it sounds the same on the right side as it does the left. It gets louder as you rev it up or put a load on it. I don’t care what it is as long as it’s not the generator/alternator. I even got the stethoscope on the pulleys and I can’t locate where it’s coming from. I hate to start throwing parts at it but I’m getting really close. I’m looking at the Cummins tensioner that was suggested and it looks like a fit other than the lips or lack of lips. I mess with it a little bit and then I have to walk away.
Wait yours is quiet enough you can hear a squeak? ;)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mac Motors sent me a response about the belt tensioner. They said they are on national back order and they should have them in stock mid November. I guess I will deal with my squealing until then. I have never had a belt tensioner go bad on anything I have ever had and I’m not sure mine is bad especially with 250 miles on it. I have time to dig deeper and remove all 4 idler pulleys and check/grease bearings ect.

Gunnlogi

The parts tm shows two different ones. The one I posted earlier, 3802287 ( no lip pulley) and 600637 (lip pulley). The lip pulley when I looked was out of stock most places, which is why I went with the other version. It fits correct and has no issues doing the job. Only difference is no lips on the pulley. I am sure a purist on here will chime in on why the world is gonna end because of this.
Have you had any issues with the no lip tensioner? I ordered one, but it appears that it puts the pulley at a higher position (without the belt) than my lipped tensioner. Because of that I haven't installed it yet. I don't really want too much tension either, obviously.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my belt off and 2 of the 4 idler pulleys off. Bearings looked good and spun freely without noise. Belt tensioner seems to have plenty of tension. The only pulley that made any noise was the pulley on generator and I believe that’s where it’s coming from. I didn’t remove it because I need to do some research on the clutch assembly and how it comes off. Does anyone know if it’s a serviceable item or have you had this issue?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The generator pulley, is it the PULLEY that is making the noise, or the shaft into the generator? If it's the later you may have the start of a bearing failure on your generator. (I don't know enough enough these things to say either way, but noise means heat.. both mean failure in bearings.)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The generator pulley, is it the PULLEY that is making the noise, or the shaft into the generator? If it's the later you may have the start of a bearing failure on your generator. (I don't know enough enough these things to say either way, but noise means heat.. both mean failure in bearings.)
When I spin the pulley by hand and I held the back of it I hear it right at the pulley snout. The clutch spins but I get a chirp that sounds like what I’m hearing at a faster rpm. I don’t know what’s inside the clutch assembly and the diagram I seen didn’t show anything but the pulley and how to remove it

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I spin the pulley by hand and I held the back of it I hear it right at the pulley snout. The clutch spins but I get a chirp that sounds like what I’m hearing at a faster rpm. I don’t know what’s inside the clutch assembly and the diagram I seen didn’t show anything but the pulley and how to remove it
generator-pulley.jpg

If you take off the nut (7), washer (6) and pull off the pulley (don't lose the key, that half circle thing). If you can replicate the same squeal, then it's the generator bearing is likely failing.

If the squeal goes away, it's POSSIBLE that the pulley is vibrating or moving slightly on the shaft. Reassembly and see if it goes away.

My money is on an internal bearing though, which likely means a generator rebuild. (One of those things, you'll want to rebuild it BEFORE it fails, or it'll get far more expensive!)

BTW which generator do you have? The parts manual Vol 1 shows internal parts for all of the various alternators and generators, including the bearings. Likely not enough to actually rebuild it yourself, but it would show what you might be in for.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 849783

If you take off the nut (7), washer (6) and pull off the pulley (don't lose the key, that half circle thing). If you can replicate the same squeal, then it's the generator bearing is likely failing.

If the squeal goes away, it's POSSIBLE that the pulley is vibrating or moving slightly on the shaft. Reassembly and see if it goes away.

My money is on an internal bearing though, which likely means a generator rebuild. (One of those things, you'll want to rebuild it BEFORE it fails, or it'll get far more expensive!)
mgFray is definitely "spot on" about repairing before the bearings inside get "egg shaped" and the armature hits the stators (fields) inside. You can just about hear the dollars flying out the window when that happens. A good generator / alternator rebuild shop should be able to replace the bushings for a reasonable price.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 849783

BTW which generator do you have? The parts manual Vol 1 shows internal parts for all of the various alternators and generators, including the bearings. Likely not enough to actually rebuild it yourself, but it would show what you might be in for.
So this small nut inside the larger one removes the pulley itself. I haven’t seen a diagram that shows what I have and that’s why I was reluctant to remove it. So I get the pulley off and I can spin the shaft and if it still makes noise it’s the shaft. If not it’s the pulley? That’s how I am understanding what you are suggesting. I really appreciate your input40A7AA84-322A-4D36-B8AE-8D5AAC0485B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So this small nut inside the larger one removes the pulley itself. I haven’t seen a diagram that shows what I have and that’s why I was reluctant to remove it. So I get the pulley off and I can spin the shaft and if it still makes noise it’s the shaft. If not it’s the pulley? That’s how I am understanding what you are suggesting. I really appreciate your input
Yes.

What you are doing is removing the potential for sound. With nothing but the little brass bushings supporting the shaft - if you hear a squeak - you have a worn bushing.

Yes, you could squirt WD-40 on the shaft but all you are doing is prolonging the problem.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this small nut inside the larger one removes the pulley itself. I haven’t seen a diagram that shows what I have and that’s why I was reluctant to remove it. So I get the pulley off and I can spin the shaft and if it still makes noise it’s the shaft.
Yes, and shaft means a bearing inside the case.

If not it’s the pulley? That’s how I am understanding what you are suggesting. I really appreciate your input
If it DOESN'T make the noise it MIGHT not be the bearing, but MIGHT still be. Reassembling the pulley and retrying it should let you know. If it starts squealing again and the pulley is not lose on the shaft.. It's almost certainly the bearing.. If the pulley is lose (or moves) it could be a bad pulley (not fitting properly. Which is unlikely, but does happen.)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got this outer nut off but now I have that threaded stud/bolt still in there and it doesn’t look like the pulley will slide over it. I didn’t see anything like this in the TM? 430623B3-9D26-4532-9987-DC1878732D4A.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks