• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulley??

The drive/crankshaft pulley on my m1008 is very wobbly. Anyone had this problem? Could it just be loose and needs to be put back on and properly torqued, or is there a deeper issue i should be on the watch for? And are there any big problems that can be caused by this?

m4A1

Check the bolts, I had one that the pulley came off while I was driving and found two boltw were broken off the other two were MIA.

CCATLETT1984

there are two different styles of crank pulleys, one style of them has a rubber isolator that is supposed to isolate the vibrations from the crank, and the other is a solid piece of metal. I'd pull the belts off and check to see if the pulley is loose from the crank, or if your problem is deeper. Fix it as soon as you can, as this is the main reason for the 6.2L breaking the crankshaft in half.

Radioshop

I had a similar problem and I just replaced my harmonic balancer and, the lower pulley still has the wobbles. You don't want to change the balancer for the heck of it. In taking mine apart I did remove and reinstall the lower pulley. I do feel better knowing that my 22 year old time bomb balancer has been replaced. I am a little peeved the sucker still wobbles. I thought my wobble was causing my truck to spit belts. We'll see how things go.

CCATLETT1984

if its tight, then pull the pulley off and start the engine for second or two, watch the damper to see if its wobbling as much as the pulley was, if it is then i would put the pulley back on and not worry about it. if its not you have a bent pulley. one thing dont run the engine for long without the pulleys in place, as the water pump will not be spinning.

Radioshop

Re: RE: Pulley??

CCATLETT1984 said:
if its tight, then pull the pulley off and start the engine for second or two, watch the damper to see if its wobbling as much as the pulley was, if it is then i would put the pulley back on and not worry about it. if its not you have a bent pulley. one thing dont run the engine for long without the pulleys in place, as the water pump will not be spinning.
Makes you wonder how the heck a lower pulley gets bent, doesn't it?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Pulley??

I had the crank pulley on my 454 depart the scene on my way to Barstow, not fun, make sure all 3 bolts are intact and tight, one of mine was missing and the other 2 broke off.......Nothing bolts to the section of the balancer outside the rubber balancer insert.

Radioshop

I closely observed the situation yesterday. I could see my balancer running straight and normal. The pulley, however, was wobbling. On mine I didn't have to take anything apart. You can see the balancer behind the pulley. So, I guess I need to secure a new pulley. Anyone have any words of wisdom on finding one?

Radioshop

One last update from me on this. I installed the new pulley and the problem is solved. Wish I had checked this before I did the balancer. Oh well.

Zero_cool

if its tight, then pull the pulley off and start the engine for second or two, watch the damper to see if its wobbling as much as the pulley was, if it is then i would put the pulley back on and not worry about it.

Is it safe to say that a new balancer that still wobbles is normal?
Should i be worrying about a bent crank shaft and or bad bearings?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks