• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling a tranny on a m35a3

Coalman

I am just about ready to drop the tranny . I have everything disconnected but the torque converter and the bell housing bolts. Will that come right out or do I have to remove the u joint coupler? It looks real tight but I am hoping it will just drop straight down with a little twisting Just wanted to know, as if I have to pull the u joint coupler off, it would probably be a little easier with the tranny solid before I unbolt it from the engine. There is a cross member that is mostly out of the way but it will be tight> Thanks in advance Kevin

Sephirothq

The u joint coupler? Do you mean the part between the transfer case and the transmission?

Oh and the guys here like pictures. So if you feel like it take some.

Coalman

I did take the short drive shaft between the tranny and the transfer case down. I just went and took the 8 bolts out that hold the drive shaft up(4 in the tranny and 4 in the transfer case )

Coalman

There is a square flange with 4 holes and a splined shaft hole that is mounted on the shaft that comes out of the tranny. That is the piece I am hoping can stay on till the tranny is out. Will it clear with that piece on is my question.

Sephirothq

I will have to check the Tm but that should be able to stay. Where are you taking it out at? I drove by there tonight but it was dark so i didn't see if there was a truck there

Sephirothq

1. Remove eight screws (4) and propeller shaft (5) from input flange (7) on transfer case (6) and output
flange (1) on transmission (8).
2. Remove screw (3), washer (2), and output flange (1) from transmission (8).
NOTE
Assistant will help with steps 3 through 7.
3. Remove eight locknuts (11), screws (13), and front propeller shaft (10) from flanges (9) of transfer
case (7) and front axle differential (12). Discard locknuts (11).

Coalman

I am working on it down at the neighbors. Where the saw mill used to be. I drove it down this morning IN REVERSE Only problem can't work down there on Sunday I will go down on Monday and hopefully get it out. I plan on using an engine hoist in though the passenger side that way I can twist it around a little more than with a jack. Any input is greatly appreciated Thanks Kevin

Monkeyboyarmy

You must take off the output yoke on the transmission to get all of the room that you can. The flexplate will also have to be removed for additional clearance.The front of the transmission has to drop down first,to about a 75 degree angle before the transmission will start to slide down. It is a real b--ch to get out. Harder to get back in. I thought that I had pictures of the rig I used to take it out but can't find any. PM me if you want more info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks