• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling an M105 trailer behind a M1009?

Hey all,

Can anyone comment on the possibility of pulling an M105 trailer behind a M1009 while unloaded? It seems I may have a trailer on the way, but I don't have an easy way to tow it at the moment except by hooking up to my M1009.

Wouldn't be going too far, some highway miles though. Good idea or bad idea? Also is the trailer wiring connector the same or will I have to come up with an adapter/hack into the wiring harness?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a one time thing empty, yeah, you'll probably be OK... Go slow though..... Trailer plug will hook right in. You WONT have any brakes on the trailer though..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed with Mark. Your lights will be dim as well since the trailer will have 24V bulbs and the CUCV 12V

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, you'll need either 3-4 friends to help you get it hooked/unhooked, or a jack of some sort.. One guy CAN NOT hook it up byhimself due to the difference in heights... Trust me...

rottiedog

I towed one home but had to lower the tailgate because it was creating a ton of draq. I have lowered my m105 to a more usable level with a 4" drop trailer axle.

We just pulled a 1.5 T generator trailer with two 5 K gensets and accessories mounted on it about 90 miles from Mechanicsburg with my M1009. The trailer lunette was turned down, which made the load ride nearly level. The trailer lights worked fine, if just a little dim on the 12V system. As long as you maintain adequate braking distance to anything in front of you and plan ahead for all stops and turns you will be OK. You must be constantly aware of the significantly increased braking distance and the fact that you cannot accelerate quickly. I would not reccomend this as a routine activity, it is alright to recover a new acquisition but not for reqular use. Drive safely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks