• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling Tanks with The M816

brianrbull

Well with the high price of scrap and the inability to use them for their intended purpose the decision was made to remove and scrap these large fuel tanks.
The first one was a single compartment 12 foot diameter 20 foot long tank only a single line was required to get her out of the ground..... The tanks were put in after the 70's oil embargo and have been filled with water for the last 20 years or so... Notice the paint on the tank.... been in the ground for 30+ years and it is still tight.....

Attachments

brianrbull

The second tank was a bit more of a PITA..... same diameter but 2 compartment and 40 foot long..... Had to chain the truck to a tree, ran a 2 part line.... she came out .... cables were twanging pretty good.... kinda added to the pucker factor it the fact I had left the winch in gear last time I used it and I pulled the end off. a trip to the local rigging supply $35 later I am back in business..... The tape on the cable was to measure how much the cable moved in the wedges after reattaching it.... (It moved less than a 1/4 inch)

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's a few of those tanks about 5 or 6 miles from my house. They were pulled up from a former gas station. I have the opposite idea. I'd like to pick them up with my wrecker and bury one of the in my back yard for a tornado/bomb shelter...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whew! I thought you were talking armor too :shock::shock:

Drew, wouldn't it still smell like fuel?

Ma Duce

There's a few of those tanks about 5 or 6 miles from my house. They were pulled up from a former gas station. I have the opposite idea. I'd like to pick them up with my wrecker and bury one of the in my back yard for a tornado/bomb shelter...

Duck pit

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
wow, lucky you pulled the end off the cable, I know a guy that about destroyed his rear winch when the end fixture was tried to be pulled through the tensioner/level wind

Ridgerunner

The first tank (12x20) with out the baffles. I'd cut the end off it, and park my plow truck in it during the winter months. Instant garage.

axlr8

I saw a vid on youtube that had some schweeet modernized bunker made of a fuel tank like this. I Too am interested on the smell portion....

brianrbull

Well to answer a couple questions here..... First off on the pulling off the end thing.... the way it was rigged had something to do with the survival of my winch.... the center of the cable had been trimmed and was not in the origional .... I gotta watch it from now on though I got my freebie... and as to the fuel smell.... YES it reeks of it. I have one more of the 2 compartment ones still in the ground and am considering what to do with it.....

Wolfen

Personally, I would not use a old Fuel Tank as a Shelter. I would be afraid of the Fumes either suffocating me, or being Ignited by a Spark. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks