• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling to right after lift

m4A1

I just had a 2" lift installed on my M1028 and now when I brake it pulls hard to the right. Is this a normal thing with theses Chevys because I remember when I had a 91 Blazer it did the same after a lift. The installs were done by different folks and neither time did I replace the pitman. Is this just an alignment issue?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if your front axle is torquing (twisting) in the springs under heavy braking since you put in the lift kit. Some of the early Jeeps did this also because the axle would torque under heavy braking, which changes the effective length of the drag link from the steering box arm to the axle, resulting in the swerve. A torque link from the frame to the axle similar to what locates the axles on deuces and 5 tons, or similar to the well known four link suspension of race cars would probably prevent the torquing of the axle.
Regards Marti

ultim8gamr

M543A2 said:
I wonder if your front axle is torquing (twisting) in the springs under heavy braking since you put in the lift kit. Some of the early Jeeps did this also because the axle would torque under heavy braking, which changes the effective length of the drag link from the steering box arm to the axle, resulting in the swerve. A torque link from the frame to the axle similar to what locates the axles on deuces and 5 tons, or similar to the well known four link suspension of race cars would probably prevent the torquing of the axle.
Regards Marti
based on this he should be able to test by putting in 4x4 and if it pulls to the left it would be a spring torquing issue? left because its opposite of what is happening for torque in the opposite direction..

AJMBLAZER

It's an alignment issue. Your steering components are now operating at a slightly different angle than stock so some odd behavior is to be expected. My advice is to go get one of the 2" pitman arms...there used to be some...and install it. Should get your angles back to stock or close to it.

m4A1

The pulling happens even in light braking. I will get a dropped pitman and an alignment and see does that help, Thanks All!

Got any pics?? I have a 1008 and was thinking about putting a 2 in. lift.
As for your issue. I agree with ajmblazer. A new steering stabilizer wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Bozor1000

I plan on going with a 10 inch lift on m1008 when I get it. Then I am going to stuff 44in ch boggers under it. Want to talk about alignment issues!!!!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
On my 1008 I had to adjust the rear load proportioning brake valve when I installed the 4" lift, mine pulled to the right until I extended the linkage 4" Also check your rear shoes to make sure they are adjusted properly, one of mine was not adjusting automatically as it should.

m4A1

44" tires w/ 4.56 gears is just a little bit better than the M1009 with 31" tires and 3.08 gears but you have about 1000 extra pounds to move.

AJMBLAZER

Yep. Without OD you really want at least a 4.88 gear to turn 44's. A 5.13 would be better but a big revvy on the highway without OD.

Then again around here just putting the truck on 44's about voids your road legality.

Yeah I'd imagine bozor wouldn't drive it on roads too much.
Here in WI your technically illegal if the tires are more than 4 inches larger than stock and the suspension is more than 5 inches above stock specs (9 inches total height). A year ago I had a really nice M1008 w/ 8inch lift and 37 hummer tires on it, only $4000, slip through my hands for a bunch of complicated sh@t relating to height restrictions (I guess it only measured like an inch over the limit too).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks