• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulsetech solar panel install location on Deuce

deucer

I searched and could not find a thread so here is my question:

Regarding the Pulsetech kits with the PDU and the larger solar panel (see pic below), I would be interested to see where everyone with a Deuce is installing the solar panels? I have the smaller panel unit installed now and will be changing but the larger kit with the larger panel seems like it would be more challenging to find a location to mount. Thanks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371469233.683947.jpg

brianp454

My truck was a CA National Guard truck. The panel is mounted just in fron of the windshield on the pasenger side. I think that is a natural place for it. The panel on my truck is about 4 inches by 5 inches and is market Solargizer. It has ~1/8 inch thick rubber washers above and below to help account for the curvature of the body in that spot. The close proximity to the battery tray makes it It makes a pronouced high-pitched whine when in heavy sunlight. I put a video of it on YuTube:

http://youtu.be/GeNRhXvNCKs

How big is your panel? I would suggest cutting a piece of cardboard the same size and trying it out.

Last edited:

peashooter

I searched and could not find a thread so here is my question:

Regarding the Pulsetech kits with the PDU and the larger solar panel (see pic below), I would be interested to see where everyone with a Deuce is installing the solar panels? I have the smaller panel unit installed now and will be changing but the larger kit with the larger panel seems like it would be more challenging to find a location to mount. Thanks
View attachment 434921
I was wondering where to mount it also. Because I didnt want to put any holes in the hardtop I used it as an excuse to make a lightbar for the cab and mounted the panel to that. You can see it here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Build-Thread&p=1376669&viewfull=1#post1376669

I was wondering if there was room to put it right in front of the windshield (where the above post has it mounted but in the center of the cab instead of the passenger side). It would need some standoff fasteners to account for the curvature of cab/hood area but I think it would fit (although I never measured).

deucer

My truck was a CA National Guard truck. The panel is mounted just in fron of the windshield on the pasenger side. I think that is a natural place for it. The panel on my truck is about 4 inches by 5 inches and is market Solargizer. It has ~1/8 inch thick rubber washers above and below to help account for the curvature of the body in that spot. The close proximity to the battery tray makes it It makes a pronouced high-pitched whine when in heavy sunlight. I put a video of it on YuTube:

http://youtu.be/GeNRhXvNCKs

How big is your panel? I would suggest cutting a piece of cardboard the same size and trying it out.
I currently have the small one which fits nicely right in front of the windshield, the one I am changing to which is part of the larger package with the distribution box is 11x9. I would have stayed with the smaller unit but I need the distribution box which has the "pulse" emitting unit it it as well so that means I would have two pulse emitting systems.

peashooter

I currently have the small one which fits nicely right in front of the windshield, the one I am changing to which is part of the larger package with the distribution box is 11x9. I would have stayed with the smaller unit but I need the distribution box which has the "pulse" emitting unit it it as well so that means I would have two pulse emitting systems.
Maybe it would be worth calling Pulsetech and talk with an engineer to see if you can just use the smaller solar panel you have mounted already with the new system instead of the larger panel since you just need it for the distribution box? Even though the large panel has a 3 pin plug coming off of it, only 2 pins/wires are used. You may just have to cut the plug off the new panel's cable and solder/heatshrink it to the smaller panels cable. It might be worth the call if you don't find a good mounting spot. www.pulsetech.net , customer service #: 800-580-7554

deucer

Maybe it would be worth calling Pulsetech and talk with an engineer to see if you can just use the smaller solar panel you have mounted already with the new system instead of the larger panel since you just need it for the distribution box? Even though the large panel has a 3 pin plug coming off of it, only 2 pins/wires are used. You may just have to cut the plug off the new panel's cable and solder/heatshrink it to the smaller panels cable. It might be worth the call if you don't find a good mounting spot. www.pulsetech.net , customer service #: 800-580-7554
I just called and they said there is no way to make the old panel work with the new system and that they have different circuitry and that all 3 wires are used? Then I moved on to the option of only adding the PDU unit independent of the existing system (not using the new board or testing unit, just the PDU) and he said that won't work either. He said the PDU needs to be hooked up to the solar panel to operate, even as just a fuse block as I want. That does not sound correct as I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the PDU can be used independently as it can even be bought separately. My concern there would be that I would be sending two "pulses", one from my old system and one from the stand alone PDU as it says it has the pulse system built into the unit.

deucer

I am going to measure the right side of the cowl, I was told it did not fit but it sure looks like it might squeeze in here between the windshield and hood with a little custom work to make sure it remains flat.

peashooter

I just called and they said there is no way to make the old panel work with the new system and that they have different circuitry and that all 3 wires are used? Then I moved on to the option of only adding the PDU unit independent of the existing system (not using the new board or testing unit, just the PDU) and he said that won't work either. He said the PDU needs to be hooked up to the solar panel to operate, even as just a fuse block as I want. That does not sound correct as I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the PDU can be used independently as it can even be bought separately. My concern there would be that I would be sending two "pulses", one from my old system and one from the stand alone PDU as it says it has the pulse system built into the unit.
Well perhaps something he had to say was correct but he is definately wrong on the number of wires coming off the solar panel (see my pic), there are only 2. I'd question everything he said at this point. I would certainly think the PDU doesn't have any electronics in it so it probably could be used for the just a fuse block, double check of course but I wouldnt go by the word of the person at Pulsetech you spoke with. Sorry for recommending that, I assumed they would just say "I dont know" rather than guess as appears to be the case. I think the Push To Test unit is the item with the "smarts" for the pulse charging thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbayer

Finally installed my PulseTech SolarGizer, after buying it 7 months ago. I never really could find any pictures of one installed in that "sweet spot", so to speak, nor could I find one, either. There just doesn't seem to be the perfect place for mounting things in the Deuce. It all seems to be a compromise of one thing or another on mounting stuff. Not that I'm complaining, I enjoy doing stuff to it just as much (well almost) as driving it.

So after many days just looking at different locations while I had my one (or two or three) daily relaxation beverages after work, I just started fabbing and this what I wound up with.
Not perfect, but neither is my Deuce, or myself for that matter.
Also appears to be working, had (3) lights on install, and after one sunny day all (4) lights were on.

I installed the PDU on a hinged plate so I could either open the engine side panel, or the hood for access to it.
Don't have anything hooked up to it yet.

Attachments

andy3

So I've been looking at my PulseTech for a few weeks and I'm not any closer to a install location. Any one else have another location they like? I have a soft top and would hate to have to drill holes in the hood or cowl behind the hood.

Sephirothq

I have already mounted a panel on the mirror. It seems to work ok. On top would get more light but then debris can build up on it or snow for us northern folks.

JasonS

For what these systems cost, you could buy a much larger PV system or pay a lot less for an equivalent system.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could mount the panel to the cowl with silicone only and wrap the wires around the rear edge of the hood. That would eliminate the need for holes. You do not want to mount the panel behind glass (e.g. windshield) as it drastically cuts performance. Alternatively, consider a pole behind the cab (mount some galvanized conduit with exhaust clamps), run the wires inside that and mount the panel on top.
Man, my ideas are just flying today!

andy3

Hmmmm, Those are both great ideas.... If I were to do the pole idea similar to the picture above with a collar/tray around the pole to leave a spot to put a flag during parades. 2 birds one stone.... Let me think this one over. I know someone that has the skills to build something perfectly...

jbayer

You could mount the panel to the cowl with silicone only and wrap the wires around the rear edge of the hood. That would eliminate the need for holes. You do not want to mount the panel behind glass (e.g. windshield) as it drastically cuts performance. Alternatively, consider a pole behind the cab (mount some galvanized conduit with exhaust clamps), run the wires inside that and mount the panel on top.
Man, my ideas are just flying today!
The one in post # 9, (mine) wont fit on the cowl, it't too big, as in width. Same one as shown in post #1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks