• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pump for WVO and bio

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rizzo,
that one looks pretty good. ONE thing that I would look for myself is one that runs on 24v instead of 12v. That way I don't have to 'step down' for it to run while mounted on the truck.

I am going to need a pump to pick up the wvo out of a container that sits on the back of the parking lot of the resturant I'm getting it from. Pump it into a container in my truck. Drive home and them pump it out of the container into my processing unit. So a 24v pump on the truck would be a major plus.

houdel

Seek, and ye shall receive! A 5 GPM, 24 VDC pump at Surplus Center for $49.95 (If you consider WVO to be a "light lubricating oil"). Will this work for you?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006060317545764&item=2-1264&catname=

They also have a 5 GPM, 12 VDC pump for the same price. Both pumps have both a power cord AND alligator clips for connecting power. Seems to me the 12V model would be a little more flexible, you could use the alligator clips across one battery on a MV and still use it if you made your pickup with a civillian vehicle.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006060317545764&item=2-1261&catname=

BTW, I'm going to try making my first ever, 1 L batch of biodiesel this weekend, good Lord willing and the crick don't rise!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The content of those restaurant grease dumpsters can be pretty nasty, a lot more than used cooking oil gets dumped in there.
I still get my oil directly from the fryers when they change, but the other day I asked about some of the things that end up in the dumpster and the answer was "Cascade cleaner, vinegar and water" among other non oil things. When you pump it out some major filtering will be needed before it can be processed.

Picked up some WVO last winter and it was solid, used a pan to scoop it out of a steel trash can that I had left at the grill. Don't think any pump could handle that stuff...
All I can say is, try to work something out with the restaurant, so that you don't have to mess with that stinkin' dumpster.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was out the other night looking in those grease pits myself. That stuff is nastier than old diesel oil and sludge. 3 different ones I looked in and all were just as nasty. I was dumbfounded as to how the steel grill could be rusted as it was but if its getting all thise cleaners poured in too, it makes sense. Bjorn, does the deli change their oil at a specific time or do they call you when they're about to change oil?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, they used to change it like clockwork (about a year ago) twice a week, but now it's more according to how busy they are and they call me on the day they change. Still about twice a week, 15 gallons each time.
I put the steel trashcan in the old S-10 Blazer and head over to the restaurant to be there at closing time. The oil is still very hot when I get home, so I add cold oil to it and process it right away. Processing temp is about 125F. Works like a charm.
I might add that the grease dumpster still gets filled with whatever doesn't get rinsed down the drain in the kitchen...not much oil, though :)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
I was dumbfounded as to how the steel grill could be rusted as it was ...
Kenny,
even without the addition of cleaners and other nasty stuff steel tanks and other parts in contact with WVO and also SVO do get rusty because of the presence of free fatty acids. Same for galvanized steel!
Every natural oil (triglyceride) has the tendency to degrade into its components: fatty acids and glycerin, accelerated by action of bacteria, in open tanks in contact with air (oxygen). Copper and copper containing alloys act as catalysts, speeding up that reaction.
This is something to keep in mind when building our own systems to store, pump, conduct, pre-heat, burn WVO and even refined salad oil.

rizzo: I guess that SHURflo pump is only good for water and watery solutions, not for fuels. Keep looking for a good high output high pressure inline fuel pump, preferably 24V if its for a deuce dual tank system.

Gerhard

houdel

Kenny, Gerhard - You guys are making me work. If you don't like the Suplus Center pumps about halfway through this posting, try the following link to Saturn Surplus, they have a humungous 24V fuel transfer pump (2" inlet, 1-1/2" outlet) for $299, and further down on the page a universal 24V fuel pump for $36.50.

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/miscpage/miscpage.htm

Someone else, I don't remember who, one of the major Deuce parts suppliers, had a pretty beefy 24VDC fuel pump for $99.95 also.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got one of those big ones here. Too damn big for anything but a boat anchor. Too heavy to ship and I'm tired of tripping over the damn thing. I've wished it away many a night but I still wake up to find it hasn't moved a dang inch. Fiddlesticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The day after you get rid of it, you'll find a need for it...that's usually how it goes.

When you find a way to process the oil/water for the grease dumpster, it may just be the best pump for the job, sucking one of those dumpsters clean in a minute. :)

My problem is finding a place to get the oil it seems most places around here have someone pay them to get reed of the oil but this morning i did find one place that would give me 5 gallons every week only have one frier but it is a start also said if i will be there when she dumps i can get straight from frier. Kenneth

houdel

According to Joshua Ticknell in "From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank", "Polyethylene cannot withstand temperatures above 140 degrees F (60 degrees C)". Quoted without permission of the author.

US Plastic Corp rates thier medium density polyethylene tanks for working temperatures up to 140 degrees F.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks