• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pump on top of engine?

mstepchinski

Hi,
Just obtained my first Deuce +.5 and love it. I have been looking around to find a part that is leaking diesel on top of my engine, but cannot figure out what it is. It has an intake, then a small plastic tube that seems to feed into the turbo exhaust..?? Weeps diesel form a weephole between the in port and that small plastic line. It sits on top of the engine towards the passenger side.

Continental engine 1968 Kaiser.

I looked around before posting and could not figure out what it is.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Dripping Springs, TX

steelandcanvas

Depending on where you live (United States isn't very accurate) you may re-think removing it and repair instead. Living on the Eastern Plains of Colorado, I use mine quite often in the Winter.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't use mine here in Ohio. I ran the pump to a water tank and hooked up the output to a spray nozzle. Now I have a built in water gun for when we are at the rallys.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open flame intake heaters used to be the state of technology at the time. I am not too happy about the different ways that they can fail and dump fuel into locations it should not go; they can also be used improperly. The military itself decided to move to metered dose ether start assist and that is what I am replacing the flame heater with. People are concerned - rightfully so - about ring damage from large quantities of "starter spray" blowing up in the cylinder when liberally spraying into the air intake. The ether start kit only delivers a minimum, consistent and safe dose of ether when cranking. A fool can still cause damage with it, but it requires a better, more determined fool. IMHO the way to go.

RAYZER

I want to find a 24v washer motor to use with the a3 wiper push button knob.
Hey, that flame heater motor might work!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh. So do I need to plug the intake line? Just pull off and plug all the lines?
If you look the supply line runs down the left side of the block to a fuel filter then to the IP. You could just take the line off the IP fitting and put in a inverted flair plug that is for a brake line to cut supply. The outher thing that would change that is you need to know if your FDC is bypassed and if not take care of that and the flame heater line in one shot.
Then there is the return line that is on a T between the injectors just remove that line and put a inverted flair plug in that T.

Last edited:

brianp454

Another option is to install a 1/4 turn valve in the fuel feed line in an accessible location. Leave it off when not used and turn it on in the event you need it.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in ND and absolutely swear by the flame starter assist, it works terrific and I have never had a problem with it, I would think about it a bit before removing it!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks