• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Punctures

martin

Hi
Has anyone any experience of using pre or post puncture repair 'fluid' or repair outfits? Some suggest large holes can be fixed at the roadside to avoid a hazardous wheel change.
Also, if the vehicle is only lightly loaded is it OK to take a rear dual off and put on the front to get you home ?
Just got another Deuce. The body was retrofitted.
M

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

MArh 1st, 2009.

I have not heard of these items being designed for tubed tires, and any roadside repair on a duece would be the opportunity for me to call the large truck tire guy, as I don't need to be run over by one mother honking huge tire and wheel......(kinda like Jim Carrey and the truck in Bruce Almighty)!that's why they get the big bucks. Besides, one flat + no spare, you gotta have religion to run without a spare tire on a deuce.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

rmgill

Taking a rear dual off works as long as you're not overloading the other tires on that axle by doing so. I carry a spare 1100 in my truck bed since I added a 2nd fuel tank. I also carry a spare flap, 2 spare tubes and tire breakdown tools for roadside repairs.

martin

Hi
I don't have the option of a call out and recall that when we had a DUKW a wheel change took about an hour, which is a long time on a narrow British road!
M

Jake0147

I have not seen any miracle in a can work even remotely well in a tube type tire.
You indeed can remove an outer dual to serve as a spare if your spare spare is not available.

IMHO, this sums it up nicely:

MArh 1st, 2009.
...you gotta have religion to run without a spare tire on a deuce.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

papercu

I've used Fix a Flat in tube tires before and in most cases it has worked fine for me.
Sure you can take one of the rear tires off and use on the front and I have run with a rear tire flat (till I got home) and had no problems. I'm just saying I have done this, it may not work for everybody or all conditions. But try to avoid changing tires or any repairs on the side of the road. Good Luck, Wayne

Scrounger

Obviously no one likes to fix a flat tire on the road, or anyplace for that matter. However some times one has no choice. If I have a flat on a rear, assuming duals, I run it till I get home or where I’m going. Very few people load their trucks with enough weight to worry about overloading the other tire. And most people don’t even know if they have a flat on the back till they stop and check them when they get where they are going. If for some reason the tire throws the bead off, I’ll stop and fix that because it is a hazard to other vehicles. So yes one can remove a rear if one needs to replace a front. Depending on how far I’m going determines what things I carry in the truck. I always have the usual jack, lug wrench, blocks of wood and air line to go with the spare tire. I always carry one spare tube and tube flap with the tools to break down a wheel. If I’m going on a long trip I usually carry three tubes with flaps and two spare tires in the back.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used some stuff they sell at the local C0-OP in tube tires with good results. The label says "not for tube type tires" but I haven't had any problems but it won't stop as big of a leak as it will in a tubeless. I have had people tell me that tried it say that tire sealer doesn't work well at road speeds. The liquid inside the tire throws it out of balance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks